Often times people want to know how to use their QuickBooks Desktop software on more than one computer. Usually, it is not very complicated and can be easily be accomplished using QuickBooks data conversion services. The same applies for QuickBooks Online.
since it is possible to move or reinstall QuickBooks from one computer to another with the help of a Migration Tool.
Through multi-user features it is possible for more than one person to work on a single company file simultaneously sharing the file with other workstations.
It does not only save you a lot of time, but also makes the workflow for all your employees more productive by registering employees that require random access to the company file or QB desktop.
In order to share access of a company file between multiple users you may need to migrate your QuickBooks data to another computer.
To begin with the QuickBooks data migration process you will need to install the QuickBooks data migration tool on your computer and select the company files that you would like to migrate or share with other users.
In this article we will explain and show you the whole process of how to use the QuickBooks Migrator Tool in order to move your company data file to a second computer.
Furthermore, we have created a list of the data that will be effected and will not be copied by the migration tool. You may need to make those entries manually.
What data can be transferred using QuickBooks Migration tool ?
The tool will definitely copy all the data to get QB up and running on your new computer. Naturally, none of the date will be deleted from the current computer.
The following data will be copied:
The recent company file – The tool will copy up to the last 3 company files that have been opened on the old computer, including all sample files.
All the QB Desktop details – This includes the current version and additional details needed for the installation on the new computer.
Letters and templates
Related files, custom forms and template
- Memorized and scheduled reports
Spell Checker (UserDictionary.tlx and spell.ini)
Printer Settings (QBPrint.qbp, PrintEng.ini and wpr.ini)
Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)
Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)
Business Planner (.bpw)
Loan Manger (.lmr)
Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)
- Advanced Reports (only for QuickBooks Enterprise)
Statement Writer (only for QuickBooks Accountant)
The following data will not get copied:
Payroll and payment setup – In order to protect your data, you will have to log in again on the new computer.
Intuit Data Protect (IDP) – In case you have Intuit Data Protect, you will need to first uninstall it on your old computer, and then sign in on the new computer to go through the setup process again. Previous backups will still be available.
Multi-user setup – If you are currently using your QB Desktop in a mullite-user setup, you will need to renew the setup on the new computer.
Old company files – All the company files that haven’t recently opened will not be transferred to the new computer. Only the 3 most recently opened company files will be copied by the Migrator Tool. That means, that older files will have to be moved manually, or restored with IDP.
- Individual backup files – All the manual backup files that you have created will not be copied to the new computer.
How many users can access QuickBooks in Multi-user mode?
In order to set up the QuickBooks multi-user mode network, it is necessary to have two separate licensed copies installed in each workstation that you want to run QB on.
The number of licenses allowed in each QuickBooks version is different from the other.
Here is a list of the QB desktop versions following the number of licenses provided by each one of them:
QuickBooks Desktop Pro – Allows 3 Users
QuickBooks Desktop Premier – Allows 5 Users
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise – Allows 30 Users
How to Move QuickBooks to a new computer?
Note: In order to use the Migrator Tool, you will have to be the Admin of your companies account.
You can use the Migrator Tool to move QB Desktop, and up to three company files to another computer, if you are using a US version of QB Desktop 2020 (or newer).
This is how the Migration Tool works
- If haven’t already make sure to backup your company file
- Connect your USB Drive.
- Copy all your data onto the USB Drive. The tool is able to copy the last 3 company files opened, including all supporting files.
- Setup a one-time password. This password should be complex even though it will be used only once by the Migrator Tool. Write the password down, if necessary.
Now connect the USB to the other computer and enter the one-time password.
The software should now automatically download, install and activate the correct version of QB Desktop to your new computer. All the other files will set up automatically.
How to use the Migration Tool?
First of all, you will have to connect your new computer to the internet.
Additionally, the USB flash drive that you will be using should have enough free space to hold all your files.
Most of the time this is between 150 to 250 MB – though you will be notified my the migration tool about the space you would require.
Setup QuickBooks data migration tool on old computer
- Open your QB Desktop, and go to the File menu. Select Utilities and then Move QuickBooks to another computer.
- Choose I’m Ready, and create your one-time password.
- Now follow the instructions, choose the USB drive, and just wait for the files to be copied.
Step 2: Unplug USB and attach it to the new computer
- Connect the USB drive. Note: If you have security restrictions setup in Windows, the Migrator Tool will not automatically launch.
- Open the folder of the USB drive and double-click on the Move_QuickBooks.bat file to manually start the tool.
- Now enter your one-time password and select Let’s go.
- Let the Migrator Tool finish. This might take some time, since it depends on the speed of your computer and internet connection, as well as your company file(s).
- When the process is finished, the tool will automatically delete all the files from your flash drive.
- Since your QB files will still be on the old computer we strongly recommend to change their names to avoid confusion in the future.
Info: In case the tool does not start after double-clicking on the file, you might have to update the Windows 10 version.
Some additional steps:
As mentioned earlier, the Migrator Tool doesn’t copy all the data automatically. This is why you might need to take a few more steps to get that data to run on the new computer.
That being said, you may have to perform one or more of the following steps:
Sign in to the Intuit Data Protect (IDP) to set up your personal backup schedule.
Create a backup of your company file on your new computer.
Sign in to the payroll & payment services.
Manually move all the additional, old company files to the new computer.
How to manually move or install QuickBooks to a new computer?
If you don’t want to use the Migrator Tool to conduct the move or reinstallation of QB Desktop, just follow these steps:
- Make sure you have the product and license information on hand.
- Now, uninstall your QuickBooks program on the old computer before you attempt a reinstall.
- Download the installation files, or use the CD on the new computer.
- Follow the instructions and install QB Desktop as you normally would.
Further more If the QuickBooks Migration Tool is not an option for you than check How to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer manually.
Note: If you move the installation to a new computer you also need to register again.
If you reinstall your QB on a computer where it was previously registered, there is no need to register again.
The software will automatically detect that a copy was already registered once. If this is not the case, follow these steps to register again:
- Open your QB and go to Help. Select Register QuickBooks to start with the process.
- Enter your business phone and zip code. Now Intuit will detect if your copy was already registered and is going to record the registration info for the new computer.
And what about your company file(s)?
Moving the QuickBooks installation doesn’t automatically move the company files. This will have to be done separately. In addition to that, reinstalling your QB over an existing installation will not affect the company files.
The process of Transferring QB data to another computer, setting up multi-user mode or having additional users to access QuickBooks the QuickBooks data migration tool is the one solution that can make the transition process efficient and easy.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with nus if you need any further help.
Our QuickBooks experts are ready available on call +1 971 205 3827 or send your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.