What exactly is the QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a specific tool that allows you to use a combination of several different QB products in the multi-user mode. That means that it manages all the applications that your business requires for multiple users that need access to working on the bookkeeping.
This makes the installation of the DSM for each of the QB versions you are using mandatory because without this tool you will not be able to use several products of the QB software at the same time.
To enable the multi-user mode, the DBSM creates the so-called ‘Network Data File’ for all the company files, which are then stored on the host computer. The tool also automatically scans the local storage device for new company files.
Note: If you are using different versions of QB Desktop, it is advised to install the DBSM in the chronological order from the oldest to the latest for each version.
Each DBMS of each QB version is going to add a user individually. For example QBDataServiceUser27 for the year 2017 and QBDataServiceUser28 for the year 2018.
How to Set-up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager ?
Intuit, the developer of QB, has a couple of different products that independent contractors, as well as small and mid-sized businesses, can choose from. There are QB Online, with five individual plans and QB Desktop versions like Pro 2019, Premier 2019 and QB Desktop Enterprise 19.0. All these are software to manage the financials of your business; from payrolls, organizing invoices, employee or vendor lists to filing your annual taxes.
How to correctly install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
- Search for the QuickBooks Installer on your host computer.
- Open the installation Wizard by double-clicking on the QB installer.
- Should the host computer be connected with the internet, you can go ahead and download the QBDSM update. Continue with clicking on the ‘Next’ button.
- In case your host computer has no connection with the internet, select ‘No’ and continue with ‘Next’.
- Select the option ‘end other programs’ that are running in the background. Continue with ‘Next’.
- The ‘Software License Agreement’ is going to come up. Read them carefully and accept the terms by clicking the ‘Accept’ button. Continue with ‘Next’.
- Choose the installation type that you need from the ‘Custom / Network Options’ menu. You have the option between „I will be using QuickBooks on this computer AND I’ will be stored “ if you want to use this QuickBooks program on the computer you are currently using OR „I will NOT be using QuickBooks on this computer“ if you should decide to ONLY STORE data on the computer.
- Select the option ‘Yes, allow access’ and enter the license and product number. Now follow the given instructions to complete the installation of the QuickBooks DSM.
- If the installation was successful, you can continue with the Set up of the DSM.
How to correctly set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
- Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Scan your folders or company data files that require the configuration to be accessible in the multi-user mode.
- If the scan is completed, save your files on the server. This step ensures that the configured files are going to be accessible for every user.
- Should you want to add new company data files to your server, you can use the ‘Monitored Drives’ feature, to keep the Database Server Manager always updated.
- To change the status of the service, use the ‘Service Administrative’ tool for organization
Now you are able to use the ‘Updates’ feature to download the latest updates to your QuickBooks Server.
How you can update your QuickBooks Database Server Manager ?
Updating your Quickbooks Database Server Manager regularly is an important task in order to ensure that all the processes are running smoothly and without any errors. So whenever an update for the current year is released from Intuit, or you want to install the latest version of the QuickBooks Desktop software on your devices. Follow the steps below to successfully run the update.
- Usually the Database Server Manager gets updated automatically, but only if you also update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version. So naturally this would be the first step.
- Make sure that the patch for the server and the workstation is the same.
- Follow the given steps for the software update and then reboot your server.
- Once the server on the computer has been updated, the message „Company file needs to be updated“ will appear on your screen.
- The software is going to ask you to make a back-up for the company files. This step is very important to avoid any data loss, since updates can change the structure of the database.
- Follow the upcoming prompts for the update and complete the backup. Now you should be able to open your company data files.
How to use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager ?
The Scan Folders feature
To enable other users the access to the company data files, all the files on the server have to be scanned at least once. This will guarantee that they are configured correctly. Here is a step by step guide on how to scan your folders with the data files.
- Start your QuickBooks application and open the Database Server Manager.
- Choose ‘Scan Folders‘ from the horizontal menu and add the folder that needs to be scanned by clicking the button ‘Add Folder’. In case you do not know where to find the correct folder, you can also scan the entire disk. On the other hand, should you have chosen the wrong folder accidentally, you can always remove an already added folder. Just click on it and the hit the ‘Remove Folder’ button.
- Now hit the ‘Scan’ button and sit back while the Database Server Manager is doing its work.
- That’s it! Now all the other user will have access to the company files when you are in the multi-user mode.
The Database Server feature
This feature enables you to determine which company data files are connected with the server and also gives you a list of all the users that are working each file at the moment. Should you want to change the status of the services, you can always do so by using the QuickBooks Service Administrative Tool.
The Monitored Drives feature
This feature keeps your QuickBooks Database Server Manager always updated when new company data files are added to the server. All the local drives on your computer can be monitored for company data files that are added, renamed or removed. Displaying and monitoring the mapped drive is not possible though.
The Updates feature
To download recent updates for your QuickBooks Server, and also check on the different versions of the QuickBooks Server, use this feature and simply follow the given instructions.
The System feature
This feature provides you with all the information about the computer on which your Database Server is installed. It displays the Computer Name, I.P. Address, Processor, OS (Operating System) Version as well as the physical memory (total MB and free MB).
Conclusion: The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an easy tool to install and use for your QuickBooks Desktop application. None the less it is crucial to ensure the complication-free work in the multi-user mode. Without the DSM you are going to face many issues and errors.
To avoid the risk of data loss or damage, that could cause operational delays for you business, do not hesitate to contact a professional QuickBooks ProAdvisor for reliable and gratifying assistance.
Using QuickBooks on multi-user mode requires the following file named QBDBMgrN running on your client PC, Incase you come accross the following error QBDBMgrN not running on this computer issue follow this article.
Article Name: “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”
Article Description: The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a specific tool that allows you to use a combination of several different QuickBooks products in the multi-user mode. That means that it manages all the applications that your business requires for multiple users that need access for working on the book keeping.
Publisher Name: Account Pro Advisor
Christina is a QuickBooks Pro Advisor and a bookkeeper by profession, she has written several blogs and articles related to accounting and bookkeeping with quickbooks, her knowledge in QuickBooks is immense and she helps quickbooks users to get their bookkeeping done right and serves all major industries in the US.