When using QuickBooks for your business, the email functionality plays a crucial role in sending invoices, reports, and other important documents to clients and vendors. However, there are instances where QuickBooks Email is not working and fail to send emails. This guide will help you troubleshoot and resolve the problem if QuickBooks Won’t Send Email.
Importance of Email Functionality in QuickBooks:
Email functionality in QuickBooks is essential for seamless communication with customers and suppliers. It allows you to send invoices, purchase orders, estimates, and statements directly from within the software, reducing the need for manual processes. By setting up QuickBooks Email, you can save time, improve efficiency, and maintain professional communication.
2. Common Reasons Why QuickBooks Won’t Send Emails:
- Incorrect Email Settings: Misconfigured email settings in QuickBooks will result in QuickBooks Email not sending. It is crucial to ensure that the email settings, including the SMTP server, email address, and display name, are accurate.
- Email Template and Preferences: Customized email templates or incorrect preferences can lead to email sending failures. Verifying the email template customization and preferences settings is vital to ensure proper email functionality.
- Email Delivery Issues: Sometimes, emails sent from QuickBooks may be flagged as spam or blocked by filters, preventing their delivery. Checking for spam or junk filters, whitelisting QuickBooks email addresses, and contacting your email service provider for support can help resolve these issues.
- Compatibility with Email Client: QuickBooks Desktop relies on an email client software installed on your computer to send emails, Compatibility issues between QuickBooks and your email client can cause intuit quickbooks email problem. Ensuring that your email client meets the requirements and configuring the settings correctly is essential.
- Firewall and Antivirus Settings: Sometimes, firewall or antivirus software can interfere with QuickBooks email functionality. Configuring these security settings to allow QuickBooks to communicate with the email server can help resolve the issue.
In the next sections, we will provide step-by-step instructions to troubleshoot email issues in both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop, ensuring to troubleshoot and fix QuickBooks email not working issue.
3. How to fix Email not working in QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Online provides a seamless email integration feature that allows users to send emails directly from the application. However, if you encounter issues where QuickBooks won’t send email, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the issue. Follow the instructions below to troubleshoot email problems in QuickBooks Online.
A. Verify email settings in QuickBooks Online
To begin the troubleshooting process, it’s essential to verify the email settings in QuickBooks Online. Follow these steps:
- Accessing the email settings in QuickBooks Online:
- Log in to your QuickBooks Online account using your credentials.
- Navigate to the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and select “Account and Settings.”
- Choose the “Company” tab and click on “Communication.”
- Locate the “Email” section to access the email settings.
- Checking SMTP server settings:
- Ensure that the SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) server settings are accurate.
- Check the SMTP server name, port number, and SSL settings provided by your email service provider.
- If necessary, update the settings to match the requirements of your email provider.
- Verifying email address and display name:
- Double-check that the email address entered in QuickBooks Online is correct.
- Verify the display name associated with the email address for accuracy.
B. Review the email template and preferences
Another potential cause QuickBooks is not sending email is related to the email template and preferences. Follow these steps:
- Checking email template customization:
- Go to the “Account and Settings” menu as mentioned earlier.
- Select the “Sales” tab and click on “Customize email.”
- Review the email template for any customization that might be causing email sending problems.
- If needed, revert to the default template to run a test or make appropriate modifications.
- Next, Configure email preferences:
- In the “Account and Settings” menu, choose the “Sales” tab and click on “Messages.”
- Confirm that the email delivery method is set to “Email.”
- Here you can Review and adjust other email preferences, such as default email subject and message options, if necessary.
C. Troubleshoot QuickBooks email not working delivery issues
If QuickBooks Online emails are not reaching their intended recipients, consider the following troubleshooting steps:
- Checking for spam or junk filters:
- Advise the recipient to check their spam or junk folder for the missing QuickBooks emails.
- Instruct them to mark any QuickBooks emails found as “Not spam” to ensure future deliverability.
- Whitelisting QuickBooks email addresses:
- Provide the recipient’s email service provider with the QuickBooks email addresses that are experiencing delivery issues. See Section 6 for a detailed overview on how to whitelist an email in gmail and outlook.
- Request them to whitelist these addresses to avoid any blocking or filtering by their system.
- Contacting the email service provider for support:
- If the issue persists, advise the user to contact their email service provider’s support team.
- Provide details about the problem encountered and any error messages received.
- The email service provider can investigate further and offer specific guidance for resolving the issue.
D. Test email functionality in QuickBooks Online
To ensure that QuickBooks Online can send emails successfully, perform the following steps:
- Sending a test email from QuickBooks Online:
- Create a test invoice or any other transaction within QuickBooks Online.
- Choose the option to send the transaction via email.
- Enter your email address as the recipient to receive the test email.
- Checking the sent email in the recipient’s inbox:
- Verify that the test email sent from QuickBooks Online arrives in the designated inbox.
- Check for any formatting or delivery issues with the email.
4. Fix QuickBooks Email not working in Gmail
- Check Gmail account settings:
- Log in to your Gmail account and go to “Settings.”
- Click on the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Ensure that IMAP access is enabled. If not, enable it and save the changes.
- Generate an App Password for QuickBooks:
- In your Gmail account settings, go to the “Security” tab.
- Locate the “App Passwords” section and click on “Generate App Password.”
- Follow the instructions to create an app password specifically for QuickBooks.
- Update email settings in QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the “Edit” menu, then select “Preferences.”
- Choose “Send Forms” from the left menu and click on the “WebMail” option.
- Select “Add” and enter your Gmail email address.
- Use the app password generated in Step 2 as the email password.
- Save the changes and close the preferences window.
- Test email functionality in QuickBooks:
- Create a test transaction or form in QuickBooks.
- Choose to send the form via email and select your Gmail address as the recipient.
- Click “Send” and check if the email is successfully sent from QuickBooks.
5. How to Fix Email not working in QuickBooks Desktop?
A. Verify email settings in QuickBooks Desktop
To resolve the issue of QuickBooks not sending emails, you need to start by verifying the email settings in QuickBooks Desktop. Follow these steps:
- Accessing the email settings in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and navigate to the “Edit” menu.
- Select “Preferences” and choose “Send Forms” from the left menu.
- Click on the “My Preferences” or “Company Preferences” tab.
- Checking the SMTP server settings:
- Ensure that the outgoing email server (SMTP) settings are correct.
- If you are unsure about the correct settings, contact your email service provider for assistance.
- Common SMTP server settings include server name, port number, and security type (SSL/TLS or none).
- Verifying the email address and display name:
- Make sure that the email address entered in QuickBooks Desktop is accurate and valid.
- Check if the display name is set correctly, as it will appear in the recipient’s inbox.
B. Ensure compatibility with email client software
To ensure compatibility between QuickBooks Desktop and your email client software, consider the following:
- Checking email client requirements:
- Verify that your email client software meets the system requirements specified by QuickBooks Desktop.
- This includes the version, supported operating systems, and any additional dependencies.
- Configuring email client settings:
- Configure the email client software to work seamlessly with QuickBooks Desktop.
- Ensure that the email client is set as the default email program on your computer.
- Check if any specific settings, such as authentication or encryption, are required by your email client.
C. Troubleshoot email delivery issues
If emails sent from QuickBooks Desktop are not reaching the recipients, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Checking spam or junk filters:
- Ask the recipient to check their spam or junk folders for the missing emails.
- Add QuickBooks email addresses (e.g., email@example.com) to the recipient’s whitelist or trusted contacts.
- Whitelisting QuickBooks email addresses:
- Instruct the recipient to add QuickBooks email addresses to their email client’s whitelist or trusted contacts list. See Section 6 for a detailed overview on how to whitelist an email in gmail and outlook.
- This ensures that future emails from QuickBooks are not marked as spam.
- Configuring firewall and antivirus settings:
- Temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software.
- If the emails are delivered successfully with the firewall or antivirus software disabled, adjust the settings to allow QuickBooks Desktop to send emails.
D. Test email functionality in QuickBooks Desktop
To confirm if the email functionality in QuickBooks Desktop is working, perform the following steps:
- Sending a test email from QuickBooks Desktop:
- Create a test transaction or form in QuickBooks Desktop (e.g., an invoice or purchase order).
- Choose to send the form via email and select your own email address as the recipient.
- Click “Send” and check if the email is successfully sent from QuickBooks Desktop.
- Checking the sent email in the recipient’s inbox:
- Verify with the recipient if they received the test email from QuickBooks Desktop.
- If the email is received, it indicates that the email functionality is working.
E. Additional troubleshooting steps for specific email providers
Depending on the email provider you use with QuickBooks Desktop, there may be additional steps to troubleshoot the issue. Consider the following:
- Troubleshooting steps for Microsoft Outlook users:
- Ensure that Microsoft Outlook is properly configured as the default email program.
- Check if any Outlook add-ins or security settings are preventing QuickBooks from sending emails.
- Verify that the email account is set up correctly to avoid Outlook is not responding in QuickBooks.
- Troubleshooting steps for webmail users:
- Confirm that the webmail provider you use is compatible with QuickBooks Desktop.
- Check if there are any specific settings or configurations required by the webmail provider.
- Ensure that the webmail service is functioning properly and not experiencing any downtime.
6. Fix QuickBooks email not wroking with outlook and Gmail
When emails from QuickBooks Desktop or Online are landing on a spam/Junk folders of the reciever instead of their inbox than ask the reciever to check their spam folders and whitelist your email address to avoid email not working issue in the future.
White list an email in Outlook:
- Open Outlook and navigate to the “Home” tab.
- Click on the “Junk” drop-down menu in the top menu bar.
- Select “Junk Email Options” from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Junk Email Options” dialog box, go to the “Safe Senders” tab.
- Click on the “Add” button.
- Enter the email address you want to whitelist in the “Add address or domain” field.
- Click “OK” to add the email address to the Safe Senders list.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save the changes.
- The whitelisted email address will now be considered safe by Outlook and will no longer be marked as junk or spam.
To white list an email in Gmail:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Go to accounts.gmail.com or open the Gmail app on your mobile device.
- Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner to access the settings menu.
- Select “See all settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Navigate to the “Filters and Blocked Addresses” tab.
- Click on “Create a new filter” or scroll down to find an existing filter.
- In the “From” field, enter the email address you want to whitelist.
- Click on “Create filter” or “Continue” to proceed.
- On the next screen, check the box next to “Never send it to Spam.”
- Optionally, you can select other actions you want to apply to emails from the whitelisted address.
- Click on “Create filter” or “Update filter” to save the changes.
7. Best Practices to Setup QuickBooks Email
To configure your email client for QuickBooks Desktop, follow these steps:
- Set your email client as the default program:
- Open your computer’s settings and navigate to the “Default Apps” section.
- Select your email client from the list of available programs.
- Set it as the default program for email.
- Verify email client compatibility:
- Ensure that your email client meets the system requirements.
- Check if the version of your email client is supported.
- Verify that your email client is compatible with your operating system.
- Configure email client settings:
- Launch your email client and access its settings or preferences.
- Locate the “Account” or “Email” settings section.
- Add the email account you want to use with QuickBooks Desktop.
- Enter the necessary information, such as your email address, password, and server settings.
- Test email client connectivity:
- Send a test email from your email client to ensure that it is functioning properly.
- Verify that you can send and receive emails without any issues.
- Confirm that the test email is successfully delivered to the recipient’s inbox.
- Set QuickBooks Desktop to use the configured email client:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and go to the “Edit” menu.
- Select “Preferences” and choose “Send Forms” from the left menu.
- In the “My Preferences” or “Company Preferences” tab, select your email client as the default email program.
By following these steps, you can setup QuickBooks email with your email client to work seamlessly with QuickBooks Desktop. Ensure that you regularly update your email client and QuickBooks Desktop to avoid any compatibility issue.
To Sum Up
In conclusion, when facing issues with QuickBooks email not working, it can be frustrating. However, by following the specific troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop, you can resolve these problems and restore email functionality. Adjust email settings, ensure compatibility, troubleshoot delivery issues, and conduct test emails to confirm functionality. If needed, seek assistance from QuickBooks support. Keep your QuickBooks email system optimized to streamline your business operations.
Frequently Asked Questions:
QuickBooks may not send emails due to incorrect email settings, compatibility issues with the email client, or email delivery problems.
To check email settings in QuickBooks, go to Edit > Preferences > Send Forms. Verify SMTP server settings and email address.
Whitelist QuickBooks email addresses by adding them to your email client’s trusted contacts or whitelist settings. See Heading 7. above for detailed information.
You can test email functionality in QuickBooks by creating a test transaction or form and sending it to your own email address.
Troubleshoot email delivery issues in QuickBooks by checking spam filters, whitelisting QuickBooks emails, and adjusting firewall or antivirus settings.
Common SMTP server settings for QuickBooks include server name, port number, and security type (SSL/TLS or none).
QuickBooks emails may go to spam due to spam filters or inadequate email configurations. Check spam folders and adjust settings if necessary.
If QuickBooks is not compatible with your email client, consider using a supported email client or consult QuickBooks support for alternatives.
Troubleshoot email issues with specific email providers by verifying settings, checking for provider-specific requirements, and contacting support if needed.