Have you recently purchased or upgraded QuickBooks Desktop accounting software but are having trouble getting it to work on your Windows computer? Perhaps you simply want to install a new version of QuickBooks on a new machine and are encountering “QuickBooks Error 1712” during the installation process.
If you are frustrated and trying to find a Quick solution than you are in the right place, Now let’s figure out what the error means and how to troubleshoot and fix Error 1712 in QuickBooks.
Even though the error may occur because of missing or outdated windows components essential for QB to function properly on your computer, Still the source of this installation error vary considering several technical factors such as User permission, Operating system type or QuickBooks Version.
Although it is clear that if a Windows PC is not compatible and does not meet the system requirements for the latest versions, QuickBooks files will not install properly.
Here is the error message that appears on your screen when you run the QuickBooks installer.
We’re sorry! Something went wrong during the installation process.
Error 1712. One or more of the files needed to restore your computer to its original condition were missing. It will be impossible to restore.
What are components and why are they necessary to install QuickBooks?
The Windows installer service installs or uninstalls a whole component of an application that is already installed on your computer. It keeps track of each component by using the component ID GUID from the Component table.
QuickBooks, for example, may include one or more of the following components:
- COM Objects
- Grouped libraries in directory.
- Registry Keys
- Sections of code such as DAO or MFC.
Now when any one of these components are damaged, corrupted or sometimes even not installed on your PC than Error 1712 will occur during QB installation.
Quick Tips to avoid 1712 Error:
- Check to see if your computer meets the system requirements of the latest QuickBooks version you want to install.
- The manual, also known as a README file, typically includes instructions on how to install QuickBooks. It can be found on the software’s website or in a text file in the same directory as the installation files.
- If QuickBooks is prompting with 1712 during the installation process or taking too long to install then close or disable all currently running programs and try again.
- If you are prompted to reboot your computer after installing a new program, do so.
8 Reasons why QuickBooks Error 1712 interrupts QB installation
- Windows is preventing QuickBooks from installing
- Corrupted Registry files in 64-bit operating system.
- Missing or damaged system components.
- Conflict with third-party application and programs.
- User do not have admin rights to Add or Remove Programs.
- A security firewall is blocking QB from installing.
- Their maybe virus or malware on the system.
- Installer services in windows 10 is not responding.
Fix corrupted registry files in windows
QuickBooks Error 1712 arises when the windows registry files get corrupted or damaged, preventing the user from installing new software or uninstalling an existing program from the computer.
In this step, you will use the install and uninstall troubleshooter to repair the registry keys and then scan and repair any issues that are preventing you from installing QB.
The First step is to download the troubleshooter.
- Download Troubleshooter.
- After you begin downloading, select Run or Open from the File Download box.
- Once open, read the instructions and click Next.
- Wait while it scans to detect problems on your PC.
- When asked if you are having trouble uninstalling or installing a program? choose Installing.
- Select QuickBooks from the list, If QB is not listed than select Not listed.
- When asked “Do you want to uninstall the program?” Select Yes.
Note: The troubleshooter walks you through the steps. If a program is not listed in the uninstall options, you will be prompted for its product code. To access the code, you’ll need an MSI file reading tool, which is usually only available to IT professionals. The product code can be found in the MSI file’s property table
Try Installing QuickBooks in safe mode Windows and Mac
- Hold down the Shift key while selecting Power > Restart on the Windows sign-in screen.
- Click Restart while holding down the Shift key.
- Following that, Windows 10 will reboot and prompt you to choose an option. Select Troubleshoot.
- Click Advanced Options on the Troubleshoot screen.
- Then, choose Startup Settings.
Note: It is possible that you will be prompted to enter your BitLocker recovery key.
- Press the Restart button.
- Select F6 to enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Next, Download QuickBooks Installer from here.
- After QuickBooks is install restart your your PC to Exit Safemode.
Quick Tip: If that doesn’t work, try these:
- Press and hold the Windows logo key + R.
- In the Open box, type msconfig and then press OK.
- Choose the Boot tab.
- Clear the Safe boot checkbox under Book options.
- Start the computer again.
- While it boots, hold down the Shift key.
- Stop holding the Shift key once you see an Apple logo and a progress bar.
- In an elevated command prompt, execute net start msiserver. You should be able to install programs QuickBooks in Safe Mode from here.
- To exit safe mode, restart without holding down the Shift key.
Download QuickBooks Tools hub
Note: If you are running QuickBooks using the multi-user hosting setup then make sure to install and run tools hub on the PC prompting with 11712 Error during installation.
- Close the QuikcBooks Installer Wizard
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks tools hub.
- Save the file in a convenient location.
- A (quickbookstoolshub.exe) file will be downloaded to your computer. If you already have the tools hub installed on your PC, make sure to update it to the most recent version. To find the current version, open the Tools hub, go to the Home tab, and scroll down to the bottom.
- To complete the installation, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Accept the terms and conditions, then continue.
- When the installation is finished, double-click the tool hub icon on your Windows PC to start it.
Run Quick Fix my program from tools hub to fix 1712 Error
- Choose the “Program problems” option from the tools hub desktop app.
- A command prompt window will be displayed on your screen.
- Wait until the repair is completed.
- Once done, try reinstalling QuickBooks.
If the error persists, proceed to the next step, which is to run the diagnostic tool.
Run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Open the Tool Hub and then select Installation Issues.
- Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. Allow the tool to complete the process. It may take up to 15 minutes.
- When the tool is finished, restart your computer and launch the QB installer wizard and retry the installation process.
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release. This ensures that you have the most recent fixes and security updates.
Update Windows to fix QuickBoooks Error 1712
Often the windows installer services do not work when your operating system has not been updated to the latest release.
To avoid 1712 Error in QuickBooks during installation make sure that windows is up to date. Doing this not only fixes several issues with windows components and drivers to keep your device running smoothly and securely but it also helps protect your PC against malware and infected files.
In Windows 10 Select Check for Windows updates to manage your options and view available updates. Alternatively,
- Press the Start button.
- Then navigate to Settings
- Update & Security
- Windows Update.
To manage your options and see available updates in Windows 11
- Check for Windows updates.
- select Start.
- Windows Update.
Login as an Admin to install QuickBooks
If you are not logged in as an Administrator on the local PC then you maybe restricted to download the QuickBooks program. In which case you may either contact your IT department to get the Admin credentials so you may continue the installation process.
If you are signed in as admin but still unable to operate the QB installer than sign out > restart your computer > login using an alternate admin account.
- Open the windows start menu.
- Select Settings from the left pane.
- Choose Accounts.
- Now select Family and other users.
- Next, under other users you will see your Account name > Click on the user > Select Change Account type and then change account type to administrator.
- Click Ok and That’s it.
Now this user has been assigned administrative rights to Install or uninstall a program.
From here restart your computer, once back up than restart the Installation process once again.
Check the source of QuickBooks Installer file
If you are trying to install QuickBooks from an old CD or an older version of QuickBooks.EXE file that you might have found on your computers download folder then it is quite possible that either file is corrupted or source of the destination folder does not exist anymore.
In this case head over to the official website of QuickBooks to download the latest version of your QuickBooks program.
- Simply choose your QuickBooks versions: Pro, Premier or Enterprise.
- Select year.
- Specify, whether you are going to use QuickBooks in single or Multi-user mode.
- Save the .exe file to a location you can easily find it.
- Open the file to begin installation.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Choose a location where you want to store QB files.
- Provide your license number and Product ID in the fields.
- Select Express install for single users and customer install for multi-user.
Once installation is complete without the QuickBooks error 1712 than your problem has been resolved, You can now restore a company file to check that everything is working properly.
Technical issues are common when it comes to third-party programs and windows. However, this does not stop us from finding the right solutions to help our readers fix QuickBooks error 1712 which occurs when trying to install QB. We hope the resources you found in this article was valuable for you to overcome the current issues and you are able to continue with your mundane tasks as usual.
If you have not been able to solve 1712 error and need further assistance then we are here to help, Our team of QuickBooks Pro advisors are available 8.00 to 8.00 EST Monday thru Friday. Give us a call on: +1 805 669 7851.
If you recently purchased a new PC or made a fresh installation of Windows 10 or 11 than it is possible that your operating system has not yet been updated to the latest release from Microsoft. In this case Go to Start > Settings > Update and security > check for updates. If you see any update available go ahead and install it then restart your computer once complete, Doing this will fix QuickBooks Error 1712, after that try reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop once again.