QuickBooks Error 1904 occurs when you are trying to install QuickBooks Desktop for the first time, or suppose you wanted to upgrade QuickBooks to another version such as version to QB Pro or QB Premier, One of the main reasons you encounter Error message 1904 during installation because of a corrupted or missing ICWrapper.dll file. The error message reads something like this: “Error 1904. Module C:Program Files (x86)QuickBooks 2018ICWrapper.dll failed to register.”
What is the Error QuickBooks 1904?
Now what does QuickBooks Error Code 1904 exactly mean? The cause of QuickBooks Error 1904 is mostly due to damaged files, components or inadequate file location and is related to the Microsoft components which are necessary files for QuickBooks to function properly on windows.
Most of the time Error 1904 is caused by Microsoft Visual C++ files. For example when icwrapper.dll failed to register when installing QuickBooks. However besides the icwrapper.dll files, also other QuickBooks DLL errors like qbprefs.dll, qbupdate.exe, cv32.dll, QBversionTool.dll, and RcnFndRequestHandler.dll can be one of the many reason for Error 1904 in QuickBooks Desktop.
Further causes can involve old or no updates on the computer and QuickBooks, as well as missing permissions for any installation processes on Windows and hard drive read-write glitches.
Note: Are you using Bitdefender? Did you install Adobe Flash recently, or your error message mentions ‘QBversionTool.dll’? If so, please follow along this article to find Quick solution to your problem.
Troubleshooting guide for QuickBooks Error 1904
If you face issues with Error 1904 while installing QuickBooks apply the following steps to resolve your problem.
Step 1: Install and setup QuickBooks clean install tool
In case you just did a recent upgrade to a new version of Windows, or you are also prompted with error 3371 you can run the QB clean install tool to resolve Error 1904. If this does not apply to you, skip this step and continue troubleshooting with the following steps below.
- Click Ignore in the error message window and continue with installing QuickBooks.
- Important: Do not open QuickBooks just yet!
- Restart your computer.
- Click here to download the QuickBooks clean install tool.
- Follow the given instructions and run the tool.
- Restart your computer again.
- Try to open QuickBooks and check if Error 1904 is fixed. If not, please move to Step 2.
Step:2 Change the settings for your Windows account
Switch to the Windows Administrator account
- Open the Windows Start Menu.
- Type and search CMD.
- Right-click on the CMD Run icon and select Run as administrator.
- A command window should open up. Type ‘net user administrator/active: yes’.
- Press Enter and close the window.
- Open the Windows Start Menu again and select sign out.
- Choose the Administrator account and sign in.
Change the user permissions
- Click on the start menu.
- Search for File Explorer and open it.
- Now search for C:Program FilesCommon Files.
- Do a right-click on the Common Files folder and select Properties.
- Open the Security tab and select Edit.
- From the Group or user names field, find and select Users.
- From the Permissions for Users section, check the boxes for Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read and Write.
- At last, select Apply and then OK.
Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Should you need more detailed instructions on how to install QuickBooks Desktop, please follow our installation guide. The reinstallation should not have an impact on already existing company file data.
- Complete the installation. Then open the Windows Start Menu and sign out of your administrator account.
- Now sign in to your usual Windows user account and open the Start Menu again.
- Search for CMD and, with a right-click on the CMD icon, select Run as administrator.
- Continue by typing ‘net user administrator / active: no’ into the command field and press Enter.
This will hide the administrator account and you should be able to open QuickBooks with your regular account.
Step 3: Fix Windows components manually
If the previous steps did not fix Error 1904, you could try to fix the damaged Windows components manually, by repairing and reinstalling Microsoft .NET Framework or Microsoft MSXML.
However, we only recommend this if you are more advanced in operating with Windows, an IT professional, or working in cooperation with a Microsoft support expert.
Unfortunately, QuickBooks install Error 1904 can be a very tricky problem to solve at times. We hope that this article enabled you to successfully fix the issue by yourself so you can continue with your day-to-day business accounting.
However, should Error 1904 stay unresolved, do not risk further operational delays for your business and contact our team of experts for an instant, reliable and thorough support.