Fix License validation and registration QuickBooks error 3371
QuickBooks is recognized as one of the most used accounting software among small businesses in the United states and Canada. As QuickBooks desktop runs on the top operating systems such as windows and mac its major focus is to constantly develop and implement new updates to its accounting solution to keep up with the necessary files and components required to ensure its compatibility with Windows.
While Installing one of the many versions of QuickBooks desktop on windows if you experience QuickBooks Error 3371 this indicates the following components such as Qbresgistration.DAT and a ecml file that stores the QuickBooks license information in windows is missing or damaged.
Therefore during installation QuickBooks is unable to validate the license properties for the qb version you are trying to open.
Here is an image of the error box that prompts on your screen:
”QuickBooks error 3371 status code 11118: could not initialize license data
This may be caused my missing or damaged files”.
What are the several out comes?
- QuickBooks enterprise desktop version will not install.
- You won’t be able to open or access your company data.
- QuickBooks will initially run slow, freeze or stop responding.
When do users experience license, validation and registration error during QuickBooks Installation?
The hard drive on which QuickBooks was installed was recently cloned.
You deleted a qb file or folder that contains extensions and components for QB to function properly on windows operating system
Transferring QuickBooks license from an old computer to a new one.
A system crash or unexpected shut down of your PC might have corrupted QB installations files.
You recently purchased a QB license and trying to install it for the first time.
You disconnected a drive or hardware on which QuickBooks was initially installed.
Although damaged and missing files is not the only reason to cause license and validation problems during QB installation.
If you are stuck than continue reading to find out the several causes resulting in license error along with a complete guided troubleshooting process to help you Recreate damaged entielmentdatastore.ecml file in windows and repair the Qbregistration.dat file in the QB installation folder to resolve QuickBooks error 3371 status code.
What causes the QuickBooks error 3371?
EntitlementDataStore.ecml that stores QB license information is damaged.
The QBregistration.dat component is missing or corrupted.
Damaged MSXML Components in windows.
Incomplete Windows update
Outdated Operating system
The Windows system files are corrupted.
System security program or antivirus has quarantined QuickBooks files.
How to Fix QuickBooks error 3371 status code 11118?
Step 1: Recommended steps to fix a damaged EntitlementDatastore.ecml file
Following this step will help you fix license validation and registration error problems in QB Desktop. Besides instlling errors you might also encounter issues during subscribing or syncing your data in QuickBooks desktop This simply means that you need fix the program damaged files.
- Save the installer to your desktop.
- Open the downloaded file QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Follow the commands on your screen and complete the installation.
- A tools hub icon will be placed on your desktop screen double click to open the app.
- Once tools hub is open go to Quick fix my software or program.
- You will be prompted to choose from a number of installation issues.
- Choose 3371 from the list and hit press OK.
The QB tools hub is a all in one tool that can fix most common errors with a click. Here you can read more about the several ways tools hub can create a user friendly experience making it easier for you to fix common errors and issues.
Option 2: Manually delete the ecml file
If tools hub was unable to fix your program than manually deleting the ecml file is the alternative option though this might sound a little techy but with our easy guide you should be able to perform the following troubleshooting steps to resolve error 3371.
Deleting the ecml file will help you to reenter tour product license number and inform QuickBooks that your product is valid and resgistered.
- Press the Windows key & Letter R simultaneously.
- This would open the “Run Box” on your screen.
- According to the QucikBooks version you purchased type one of the following commands into the run box and hit enter. If the first command path doesn’t open a folder than try the second one.
- C:\ProgramDATA\intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\ProgramDATA\intuit\Entitlement Client\v6
- Notice the EntitlementDatastore.ecml from the list.
- Right click on the file and choose to delete.
- Confirm with yes.
- Go back Open QuickBooks desktop.
- Follow the On screen instructions and complete registering your QuickBooks.
Step 2: Install QuickBooks in Safe mode:
Before you start your computer in safemode make sure to backup your company file and make a note of your QuickBooks software license number and product ID. You will need this info to install QuickBooks in safemode that fixes QuickBooks Error 3371 status code 11118
- Open the “run command box” by Pressing Windows Key and letter R simultaneously.
- Type in the run box “msconfig” and hit OK.
- Go to the General Tab – image
- Choose the selective startup option and check the boxes that says “Load system services” and “Load startup items”. – Image
- Now from the top menu select Services Tab and mark the box that says “Hide all Microsoft services”. – Image
- Now select Disable all.
- Once disabled than Unmark the Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Scroll through the list of services to confirm that windows installer box is checked, If not make sure to check the box.
- Press ok.
- Choose Restart from the system configuration windows.
- After the system restart begin to install QuickBooks in safe mode. Download your QuickBooks version and year.
- Once QB is successfully installed, Restart your computer to switch back to normal windows startup mode.
- Open the run box once again pressing the windows + R.
- Type in msconfig and hit enter on your keyboard.
- From the general tab choose startup type normal
- press ok
- Now from the configuration window click on restart.
Step 3: Install a clean copy of QuickBooks desktop
This will help you create a fresh copy of your QuickBooks desktop version replacing the old installation files with the updated ones. Uninstalling the program does not effect your company files or data.
However for user information the clean install tool does not only solve installation issues in QB but it can also help you solve several company file related issues that occur with the application.
Before you start:
- Gather your product information
- If you registered QB online than you must have received an email with your Product information or on the package if you purchased it at BestBuy or Office depot.
- If you are unable to locate the info no problem simply log into account.management.portal to view your info.
- Use your registered email address and password to login.
- Click on the QB version and make a note of your license number and product ID.
Now lets continue with first uninstallation and reinstall QuickBooks:
- Open Control panel form the Windows start menu search bar.
- To uninstall go to programs and features or uninstall a program.
- Now you have a list of programs installed on your system, Find the QuickBooks program from the list to select the file
- You can either right-click on QB and choose to uninstall or from the top menu bar choose uninstall/change and than press remove. ( You may need to login as windows Administrator to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once uninstall is complete restart windows and login.
- Open the official Intuit page to Download QuickBooks.
- The installation process is easy to follow and guided with on screen instructions.
- When it asks for your License number and product ID enter the info you gathered earlier and complete QuickBooks clean installations process.
QB says Installation complete and opens up on your screen, Go to the your company file folder and try to open a company file or create a sample file. If everything is working normal than your problem has been fixed.
Step 4: Update Fix Microsoft .Net Framework
For QuickBooks to function properly on a windows operating system it is important that windows components such as Microsoft .NET Framework is updated and working properly. If this file has an issue you might be close to understanding why your QuickBooks is not installing or working properly.
How to activate .Net Framework in Windows 10, 8.1, and 8 ?
- Exit out of all the programs.
- Go to Windows Start Menu
- Search “Control Panel” and open.
- Open Programs and features.
- Now from the top menu click Program.
- Click on Turn Windows features on or off option.
- Try to find .Net Frame Work from the list.
You will find more than one version of .Net Framework installed on your PC, select the settings for both .NET Framework 4.5 and .Net FrameWork 3.5 SP1.
Similarly perform the same steps for .NET Framework 4.5,4.6,4.7 and 4.8 depending on the version of Framework installed on your work station.
- Always choose the latest version of Framework.
- To choose select the .NET Framework version to turn on.
- Press Ok to save changes.
- Restart your Workstation.
If you find that the desired version of Framework is already turned on and running than Uncheck the box to turn off.
- Press OK.
- And restart your computer.
- When your computer is back up and running follow the above steps to navigate to Framework folder once again and turn the settings back on.
Additionally you would also want to update your Service pack. So make sure you also choose the latest service pack that is 3.5 SP1 from the list.
Once you have performed the above steps correctly than restart your computer and open QuickBooks and your company file.
Don’t see the error than your problem is Fixed.
Step 5: Update Windows
- Go to the windows logo
- Choose all programs and select Windows Update.
- Once the updates are installed, Reinstall QuickBooks.
- For further information on windows update and how to update windows refer to this Microsoft tutorial
The information and the troubleshooting steps presented in this article cover the most useful methods and ways to fix QuickBooks installation issues on windows. The reason behind QuickBooks Error 3371 could not initialize license data is either a damaged Entitlement.ecml file, a missing QBRegistration.dat file or windows component issues. Although the error code that prompts on your screen may diiffer for each individual user.
However the troubleshooting steps remain the same and if you have followed all the steps correctly than your problem must have been fixed by now.
If you have tried everything and stuck than please contact our customer service representatives for further help. Email: [email protected] or call us on +1 971 205 3827.