If you’re having trouble installing or activating QuickBooks on Windows 10 and prompted with the “QuickBooks Error 3371 status code 11118” error message on your screen than chances are that the error is caused Firstly, because of recent changes made to the operating system files of your computer on which QB is installed.
Or Secondly, because by accident the QuickBooks programs files has been replaced or deleted from your system as a result of which “QuickBooks error 3371” is prompting during installation.
- This can happen due to an incomplete upgrade of your operating system.
- Changes in hardware settings for example: changing or cloning of a hard drive of PC.
- If your files are saved in Drive C: than by resetting or using the system recovery feature may delete necessary files to run QB.
- Corruption of system files because of virus, malware in some cases software conflicts.
Let’s find out how this happens? As 3371 error occurs due to missing or damaged installation files on the system, because of which QuickBooks is unable to verify and activate the license properties of QB during the installation process.
What are those 2 files that causes QuickBooks Error 3371 during installation?
- Qbregistration.dat file.
- EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
Without the validation of these files QuickBooks fails to activate or get installed on windows 10.
Users of Right Networks and QuickBooks Enterprise who use WebConnect: If you open the file before saving it, you may encounter this problem. So, Before you import the .QBO file, you must first save it.
For all other user’s please follow along this article to learn what is error 3371, when does it occur and how to fix it.
This tutorial is aiming to help you fix this issue with the following versions of QuickBooks:
- QB Pro.
- QB Enterprise.
Note: Regardless of the error code that you are experiencing with QuickBooks at the moment, the first step is to make sure that your system is updated.
Simply keeping your windows updated can solve most QuickBooks Desktop compatibility issues with the system and avoid further error’s in the future which is otherwise disrupting your work flow.
Here is an image of the error box that prompts on your screen:
Outcomes of QuickBooks error 3371 status code 1
The outcome of not being able to open your application and not having access to your accounting data is bad enough.
As it can delay operations and loss of time and money both during business hours which can be very frustrating,
Leaving that aside the good news is we have created a detailed guide and step by step solutions to help you through out the process to solve this issue.
First of all here is a complete list of issues that you will come across when you are unable to access your books.
- QuickBooks desktop pro, premier or enterprise will not install.
- You won’t be able look into your company files.
- You will also loose access to your payroll data
- QuickBooks will not function if you are in multi-user mode.
- QB applications will not load on User’s PC.
What causes 3371 error in QuickBooks?
when you get QuickBooks error 3371 this means the following components, such as Qbresgistration.DAT and the .ecml file that stores the QuickBooks license information on a windows hard disk is either missing or damaged.
When QuickBooks desktop is installed on a computer, the license information of that particular version gets stored by default on the hard drive of your computer.
Now, every time you open QuickBooks on your computer it quickly validates the license properties stored on the system before it takes you to the login screen.
Sometimes their are scenarios when QuickBooks is unable to validate the license properties and won’t open,
In which case you see a long line of code on your screen saying “QuickBooks Error 3371 status code 11118 that QuickBooks was unable to validate the license properties.
Incase you are wondering why is QuickBooks unable to validate the required license information?
The answer is after considering the several technicalities involved in running QuickBooks on Windows 10, Two of the main reason for installation issues are “missing license information” and “damaged QuickBooks files” on your computer.
What are the reasons behind Error 3371 during installation?
While each one of these reasons may vary from user to user and everyone might not be experiencing the same error, however the reasons behind the errors remain the same.
- Unable to Validate license information.
- Cloning of a hard drive on which QB is installed.
- You deleted a file or folder that contains extensions and components for the program to function properly on your operating system.
- You have transferred QuickBooks License to another computer.
- A system crash or unexpected shut down of your PC might have corrupted QB installations files.
- Installing QuickBooks for the first time with a new license.
- Accidently disconnected a drive or hardware on which QuickBooks was initially operating.
- EntitlementDataStore.ecml file which stores QuickBooks license information is damaged.
- The QBregistration.dat component is missing or corrupted.
- Damaged MSXML Components in windows.
- Incomplete Windows update
- Outdated Operating system
- Windows system files are not up to date.
- System security program or antivirus has quarantined QuickBooks files.
In order to help you over come these problems we have put together a list of troubleshooting steps which will guide you throughout the process in resolving the error in QB.
Most importantly we will show you how to recreate the damaged entielmentdatastore.ecml file in windows and repair the Qbregistration.dat file in the QuickBooks installation folder to resolve error 3371 status code 11118 QuickBooks after cloning hard drive.
How to Fix QuickBooks error 3371?
First let’s look at the files that is required to validate license properties.
Besides installation when you encounter issues such as syncing your data in QuickBooks desktop This simply means that you need to repair the program files.
1) Use Tools Hub to repair QuickBooks.
The tools hub consists of a set of tools that helps QB user’s troubleshoot and overcome error’s encountered in any scenario, It can help you repair company file issues, connection issues, installation error’s and more.
But today we are going to use the Quick fix my software or program feature in tools hub to fix software related issues.
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks Tools hub.
- Save the installer to your desktop
- Open the downloaded file QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Follow the commands on your screen and complete the installation.
- A icon fo the tools hub is placed on desktop.
- Double click to open the app.
- Go to Quick fix my software or program option from the list.
- You can choose from a number of installation issues.
- Choose Quick Books error 3371 from the list and hit OK.
Incase you are new to the tools hub and you want to learn more on how to use the tools hub in the future to solve issues related to QB go here to learn more.
2) Repair EntitlementDatastore.ecml file
If tools hub was unable to solve the installation issues with your program than as an alternative option you can manually delete the .ecml file though this might sound a little techy but with our easy guide you should be able to perform the following troubleshooting steps to resolve easily.
Deleting the ecml file will help you to re-enter your product license number by creating a new file and inform the application that your product is valid and registered.
- Press the Windows key & Letter R simultaneously.
- This would open the “Run Box” on your screen.
- According to the version you purchased type one of the following commands into the run box and hit enter. If the first command path doesn’t open the folder than try the second one.
- C:ProgramDATAintuitEntitlement Clientv8
- C:ProgramDATAintuitEntitlement Clientv6
- Notice the EntitlementDatastore.ecml from the list.
- Right click on the file and choose to delete.
- Confirm with yes.
- Go back to open QuickBooks desktop.
- Follow the On screen instructions and complete registration process.
3) Try installing QuickBooks in Safe mode
Before you start your computer in safe mode make sure you have created a latest backup your company file and make a note of your license number and product ID. You will need this info to continue the installation process in safe mode.
- Open the “run command box” by Pressing Windows Key and letter R simultaneously.
- Type “msconfig” and hit OK.
- Go to the General Tab.
- Choose the selective startup option and check the boxes that says “Load system services” and “Load startup items”.
- Now from the top menu select Services Tab and mark the box that says “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Than select Disable all.
- After that Unmark the Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Scroll through the list of services to confirm that windows installer box is checked, If not check it.
- press OK.
- Choose Restart from the system configuration windows.
- Try reinstalling the QB program again.
- When QB is successfully installed, Restart your PC to switch back to normal startup mode.
- Open the run box once again pressing the windows + R.
- Type in msconfig and hit enter on your keyboard.
- From the general tab choose startup type normal
- press ok
- Now from the configuration window click on restart.
4) Re-install a updated version of QuickBooks desktop
In this step we will help you create a fresh copy of your QuickBooks desktop version replacing the old installation files with the updated ones. Uninstalling the program does not effect your company data.
Gather your product information before your start. Depending on how you registered QB you will find the license number on your registered email or on the package.
If you are unable to locate the info no problem, simply log into account.management.portal to view your info. Use your registered email address and password you used at the time of purchase to login.
Than find your latest version of QB from the list and make a note of your license number and product ID to follow up with the next steps.
Undo the old installation and reinstall a new copy
- First open Control panel form the Windows start menu search bar.
- To uninstall go to programs and features or type uninstall a program.
- Find QuickBooks from the list of programs.
- Right-click on QB and choose to uninstall or from the top menu bar choose uninstall/change and than press remove. Note: You may need to login as windows Administrator to complete the process.
- As soon as the uninstallation process is complete restart and log back in to your PC.
- Open the official Intuit page to Download QuickBooks.
- The download process is easy to follow and guided with on screen instructions.
- When it asks for your License number and product ID enter the info you gathered earlier and complete clean installation process.
Once complete try to reopen QuickBooks Desktop and create a sample file from the start screen.
If everything is working normally and you can access your files once again than the problem has been solved.
If not move on to step 5.
5) Activate or update Microsoft .Net Framework
QuickBooks uses certain Microsoft windows operating system components and programs to make certain features in QB available to you. For instance a number of web-based apps require the .NET Framework in windows to be up to date for QB to function properly.
Let’s find out how to Activate the .NET Framework on your PC and update the required components and files before you re-try the installation process.
Here’s how to activate .Net Framework in Windows 10, 8.1, and 8 ?
- Exit out of all the programs.
- proceed to Windows Start Menu
- Type “Control Panel” and open.
- Go to Programs and features.
- Now from the top menu click Program.
- Click on Turn Windows features on or off option.
- Try to find .NET FrameWork from the list.
You will find more than one version of .NET Framework installed on your PC, Make sure to select all the available versions. for example: 4.5 and 3.5.
Similarly perform the same steps for .NET Framework 4.5,4.6,4.7 and 4.8 depending on the version of Framework currently available on your operating system.
- Ensure to choose the latest version of Framework.
- Select the version to turn it on.
- Press Ok to save changes.
- Now restart your Workstation.
Note: if the required Framework version is already turned on than Uncheck the box.
- Press OK.
- And restart your computer.
- When your computer is back up and running follow the above steps to navigate to Framework folder once again and turn the settings back on.
Additionally you would also want to update your Service pack. So make sure you also choose the latest service pack that is 3.5 SP1 from the list.
Once you have performed the above steps correctly than restart your computer and try to open QuickBooks and access your company file.
If you are able to open the program without the error than your problem has been solved.
Incase, the .NET Framework isn’t working correctly and continues to show errors than you may as well want to find out how to reinstall the .NET Framework 4.8 or update to the latest version available at the time of download.
6) Update your Windows Version
All most every PC has windows updates turned on and whenever a new update is available windows will update your system automatically.
In some cases, this might not be true, in which case we recommend you to check if new updates are available and complete the updates manually.
It is recommended that Auto-updates should be enabled or confirmed, especially for QuickBooks to function properly.
This is especially important for third party software’s such as QuickBooks to avoid installation error 3371 or 1904.
You may choose to schedule auto-updates at a convenient time. If you have anti-virus installed make sure that you have set Automatic updates on.
Option1: System info
- Select the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Open and click on the icon with the Settings Cog.
- From the settings page select the system icon.
- Now on the system page scroll down and click on About.
- In the About window, go down to Windows Specifications.
- Here you will see the Edition information to know your operating system.
Option 2: Update Manually:
- Select the Windows icon in the bottom left of your screen.
- Go to the Settings Cog icon.
- In settings click on Update & Security.
- Now in the Update & Security window click on Check for new Updates option if necessary. To confirm that your updates are not paused select Advanced Options.
Even if automatic updates are turned on some features might need to be manually activated.
To do this go to, Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on check for updates. This will show you a list of available updates, now you can choose the one’s necessary for your system.
Select Download & Install now.
All the information and the troubleshooting steps covered in this article offer the most useful methods to fix your QuickBooks installation issues on windows.
Though the reason behind QuickBooks Error 3371 status code 11118 could be many but the main problems occur from damaged Entitlement.ecml file, missing QBRegistration.dat file or outdated windows components.
Even if the error code that is prompting on your screen to validate QuickBooks license properties may differ for each individual user.
However, the troubleshooting steps remain the same for all and if you have followed all the steps correctly than you are probabaly back to accessing your files once again.
If you have Questions than you can also contact our customer service representatives for further help. Email: email@example.com or call us on +1 971 205 3827.