A QuickBooks company file can be opened by multiple users at the same time, To use QuickBooks in multi-user mode you need to install the QuickBooks database server manager application on the server computer that hosts your company files. If incorrect folder permissions are set during setup, or if QB Database Server Manager is unable to scan the files because it is not properly configured, “QuickBooks Error 6129,0” will appear on the workstation from which a user is attempting to access a QuickBooks file.
Step 1: Login to your computer with an Administrator account to avoid QuickBooks Error 6129.
Most applications installed on Windows require administrative rights to function properly. If you are a QuickBooks Administrator but are not logged in with a Microsoft administrator account, you may be unable to access all features of the application and will be prompted with the QuickBooks Error 6129,0 when attempting to open or access a company file.
- “Logout” of your current “Windows account”.
- Use your Windows “Administrator” “User ID and Password” to “login”.
- Now, “Open QuickBooks”. If the error continues, proceed to “step 2” to troubleshoot further..
Step 2: Rename the Network Data (.ND) file extention
The network data file helps a company file to communicate between a host computer (the server computer that hosts your data) and a workstation ( a user computer on which QB is installed). The 6129 error will prevent QB from functioning properly if Network Data file is corrupted or damaged. Renaming this file may resolve the issue; when QuickBooks restarts, a new copy of the.ND file is created.
- Open “Windows file manager” > “Select Drive C:” >
- “Navigate” to QB “installation folder”.
- Find the file with the “.ND extension”.
- “Right- click” and Select “Rename”.
- “Add .OLD” at the end of the file and “close the file manager”.
- Now,“reopen” the company file.
Step 3: Copy QuickBooks company file to Desktop.
You can see if there is an issue with the company file’s location by copying it to your desktop and then opening it. If the file opens from the desktop, it’s possible that the location where you saved it was corrupted. In case the file your trying to access is stored under too many layers of folders, it means the file system path limit has been exceeded. If it still doesn’t open after changing the location, you may have a damaged company file.
Follow these steps to find out:
- Navigate to the folder that saves your company file.
- You will see a list of files, Find the one ending with “.qbw extension”.
- Now,“Right-click” on the file and “select copy”.
- Go to your desktop “press Ctrl + V” to save it on the desktop.
- Next, “Hold down” the “Control key” on your keyboard and “double click”on the “QuickBooks Desktop icon”. Doing this will open QuickBooks in the “No Company Open” Window.
- Next, Choose the option that says “Open or Restore an existing company” and browse to the desktop location where you saved your file earlier to open it.
- If the file opens up from this location without the error 6129 then the issue has been fixed or go to next step.
Step 4: Open QuickBooks in safe-mode to fix 6129 Error
- Press the “Windows Key + I” to go to “settings”.
- Click on “System”.
- Now choose “Recovery” from the options.
- From the Recovery Options, next to “Advanced startup”, Select “Restart now”.
- Once your computer restarts you will be on the “Choose an Option Screen”.
- Select “Troubleshoot” > “Advanced options” > “Startup Settings” > “Click Restart”.
- You’ll see a list of options after your computer restarts. To start your computer in “Safe Mode”, “select 4” or “press F4”. “Choose 5” or “press F5” for “Safe Mode with Networking”.
Once your computer has restarted in safe mode, Open QuickBooks and login to your company file as an admin. If the error 6129 persists than scan your file for damages.
Step 5: Run QuickBooks file doctor.
- “Download QuickBooks Tools hub”.
- Select “company file issues” from the list of “utilities and tools”.
- “Choose the file on which you were prompted the Error 6129,0”.
- If you cannot see the file in the list then browse to the location of the file and select it to “start scanning” the file with the file doctor.
- Click on “Check your file” Option to continue.
- You will be asked to enter the company file admin user name and password. After entering the “login info” “select continue”.
The file doctor may take some time to complete the scan, which is mostly determined by the size of your file. After scanning is complete, close the Tools hub and launch QuickBooks. If you see no more errors, it means the file has been repaired and you can resume using QuickBooks as usual.
Step 6: Update QuickBooks Desktop to avoid Error 6129
- “Open QuickBooks” Desktop.
- “Press F2” on your keyboard to go to the “product information” page.
- “Check” the latest update and “release date”.
- “Close” the “Product information window”.
- Click on the “help menu” and choose “Update QucikBooks Desktop”.
- Go to the “update tab”.
- Now click on “Get Updates” to begin downloading the latest files.
- Once download completes, “Restart QuickBooks”.
- During restart QB will ask you to “install the latest release” > Select “Yes”.
After QuickBooks has been updated, Restart your computer and open QB to check if the 6129 Error has been resolved move on to the next step.
Step 7: Restart QuickBooks Processes in Windows 10/11
QuickBooks Error 6129, 0 often occurs when opening a large company file because of several QB processes not responding in the background of your PC and needs to be closed manually, End Process in Windows task manager is frequently used to close the non-responsive program files and to free up memory by removing unnecessary background processes.
Here is how:
- “Log” in as the server computer’s “Administrator”.
- To open the task manager, “press Ctrl+Shift+Esc”.
- Display “processes” to all users. Choose the “Users tab”.
- “Select End Task” after selecting each QuickBooks process (QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe).
- In multi-user mode, open the company file.
While multi-user hosting capability is a game changer for accountants and business owners because it does make accounting a breeze however in situations when you encounter error 6129,0 it can be quite frustrating and tricky to solve. Following the troubleshooting steps above will help you overcome such issues Quickly. However, if you need further assistance please contact our support team.