“QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816” is linked with the QuickBooks Desktop multi-user hosting feature. If you disable this feature in the QuickBooks program installed on the server that hosts your company files, Error 6190 will appear when you attempt to access your QuickBooks Data. The error is frequently caused by network connectivity issues, but it can also be caused by a damaged file path or folder.
In this article, we will first assist you in determining whether you have the correct setup configured to host your company file for multiple users, followed by detailed troubleshooting steps to resolve network and software issues to fix QuickBooks Error 6190.
3 Step configuration check to avoid 6190 816 Error in QuickBooks
To use QuickBooks desktop from multiple workstations on the same network so that multiple users can access a QuickBooks company file at the same time, follow these three steps.
- Create a Hosting server (The computer that will host your company files).
- Install QuickBooks Desktop on the server and turn hosting feature on.
- Save the company file on a network drive and select the user computers connected to the network to provide access to the file.
Finally, make sure that the version of QB installed on the server matches the version installed on all of the workstations. If the versions do not match, a company file from one version of QB cannot be accessed by another. For example, a QuickBooks Premier file cannot be opened in QuickBooks Pro unless converted, as a result QuickBooks Error 6190 appears when attempting to access your QB data file.
However, If you do not see an issue in your current setup then read along to perform additional troubleshooting steps to solve the problem.
How to fix QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816?
To get rid of Error code 6190 in QuickBooks Desktop first update your application, After that update your Windows or Linux operating servers. You can also download the file doctor tool and run the program to scan your company files for bugs and network Errors.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks.
- “Open” the “QuickBooks” Desktop application.
- “Press F2” on your keyboard to open the “Product information” window.
- Check the details of your “current version and release“.
- “Close QuickBooks” and your company “files”.
- Click the “Windows Start” button.
- “Type” QuickBooks in the “Search bar”, “Right click” on the “QB icon” and select “Run as Administrator“.
- If prompted for Admin permissions “Select Yes”.
- Once you see the “No Company Open window”, Click on the “Help menu” and “Select update QuickBooks” from the drop down list of options.
- Choose the “Options tab”, Check the box that say “Mark All”, then click “Save”.
- “Select” the “Reset Update” checkbox on the “Update Now tab”.
- When you’re ready, Click on “Get Updates”.
After the update is complete, close QuickBooks Desktop and reopen it. To install the updates, select Yes.
When the installation is complete, restart your computer. If the Error 6190 persists then update your Operating system.
Step 2: Update Windows
Important: Make sure save your work, close all apps on your PC and backup any important data before installing new updates.
- Press the “Windows Key + I” simultaneously to go to settings.
- In the left pane, select “Windows Update”.
- If you see any updates that need to be installed, install them right away.
- If there are no available updates, click the “Check for Updates button”.
- Windows will now search for available update for your computer.
- When Windows has finished checking for new updates, it will prompt you with a list of available updates. Click on “Download and install” and wait for the installation to finish.
- Windows will then prompt you to “Restart your computer” to apply the installed updates.
- Restart your PC and once on the main screen “Open QuickBooks”.
Keeping your computer up to date is crucial for the security and compatibility of third party applications such as QuickBooks on your PC to functional properly.
Step 3: Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
The QuickBooks File Doctor can help repair company file issues and Network errors that are caused due to damaged file extensions or corrupted database. While most of the “6000- Series errors“ are related to technical issues some however are also caused due to missing information in your company file such as blank customer, vendor or employee lists.
If you can’t open your company file because of the QuickBooks Error 6190 816 or if you see errors such as H202, 6175, 6129 then use the file doctor to solve issues data.
- “Download and Install QuickBooks Tools hub”.
- After installation is complete “Open tools hub” and go to “Company file issues”.
- Now, “Select Quick Fix my File” option form the list.
- Once the process is complete “select OK” and Open QuickBooks. If the Error Persists then Click on Company file issues once again.
- This time “Select Run QuickBooks File Doctor”.
- Once file doctor is open “select the company file prompting the 6190 816 error code”.
- Next Click on “Check your file option” and Hit “Continue”.
- “Enter” your file “Admin Name and Password” when prompted.
Once the scan is complete open QB to see if the problem has been solved or move to step 4 to end all running QB processes that might be hindering QB from functioning properly.
Step 4: Run Quick Fix my Program to get rid of 6190 816 Error.
The Quick Fix will terminate any open background processes in QuickBooks. It will repair your program quickly.
- Select “Program Issues” from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Choose “Quick Fix my Program”.
- “Launch QuickBooks Desktop” and navigate to your data file.
Step 5: Rename the .ND and .TLG Files to fix 6190 816.
- “Open the folder” containing your company files.
- Find files with the same name as your company files but different extensions. In your case you will look for files ending with the“.TLG and .ND”.
- “Right-click” each file and choose “Rename”. At the end of each file name, add the word “OLD.” For example, “company file.qbw.nd.OLD”.
Restart QuickBooks after closing or minimizing the file manager. At this point, QB will create new copies of the.ND and TLG files, which means that if the Error 6190 was caused by damage to your file extensions, it has now been resolved because QB has recreated those files. There is one more step to this, which is to scan the file with the database server manager so that it can be accessed in multi-user hosting mode.
Next, Perform Step 6
Step 6: Scan files causing 6190 816 Error with the database server manager.
After renaming the.ND and.TLG files, restart the QuickBooks database server manager application and re-scan your files to ensure that the new files are stored in the QBDBSM app installed on the server and that you do not encounter any further errors when opening your company files from a workstation.
- Select “Network Issues” from the tools hub.
- Select “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” from the list.
- If you see your company file in the Database Server Manager, “Select Start Scan”. If not, navigate to the location of your company file and then Select Start Scan.
- “Reopen QuickBooks” and try to sign in to your company file again.
Step 7: Give permission to access to company file folder
Change the share permissions as follows:
- “Right-click” on the folder containing your company files.
- Select “Properties”.
- Navigate to the “Sharing tab”.
- Select “Advanced Sharing”.
- Select “Permissions”.
- Choose a “user” or “group” from the drop-down menu.
- For each of the settings, select “Allow” or “Deny”.
Step 8: Setup access permissions in Windows Server
- Press the “Windows + R” key at the same time.
- Type “ServerManager” in the box and “Hit Enter”.
- Now “Select Storage” and “file services”.
- Then select “shares”.
- From the Task drop down select “New Share”.
- You’ll see a list of file share profiles. Select “SMB share – Quick”.
- Next, from the “share location area”, Choose the option that says “Type a custom path”.
- In the next window “navigate to the folder” you want to share ( This must be the folder containing your comapny files).
- “Select the folder” and “Hit Next” to “begin sharing”.
Sometimes using QuickBooks in multi-user hosting mode can be a little complex specially when the company files are stored on a different server or computer, Often the trouble occurs when thier are multiple technicalities invloved, such as a firewall, host machine, necessary permissions and so on and when one of these things do not work properly the QuickBooks Error 6190-816 may arise, While most of the time this is nothing to worry about, specially if you have followed the above troubleshooting steps correctly the 6190 error prompting on your computer must have been solved by now. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch with our support team.