If you have recently encountered the “QuickBooks 80029c4a error loading type library/dll” after installing the latest update in QuickBooks or during startup of QuickBooks Desktop, then follow the troubleshooting steps in this guide to fix the issue.
The QuickBooks desktop includes all of the features needed to successfully manage a financial workflow. The software can be installed on a Windows computer or server, Intuit releases regular updates for improved performance, enhanced features, and security.
Despite all efforts to maintain usability, QuickBooks occasionally encounter an error while running on a Windows 10/11 systems. Most of the time, 80029c4a pops up followed by a long line of error message on your screen due to which QuickBooks Won’t Open as a result restricted to access your company files.
When these error occurs note that the issue has often to do with a malfunction in your operating system rather then anything to do with your company file or the QuickBooks application it self.
Here is the different long line of error messages that appear on your screen:
QuickBooks could not load the system components. Restarting your computer might solve the problem. Error type: 80029c4a-Can’t load dynamic link library.
There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with the company file. Error Code: 80029c4a. Description: error loading type library/dll
Understand why QuickBooks Error 80029c4a occurs?
QuickBooks, like any other application installed on a Windows operating system, requires an executable file to open and function properly. In this case, it is the quickbooks.exe file, this file contains an encoded sequence of instructions that the system can execute directly when the user clicks the QuickBooks Desktop icon to open. The error code 80029c4a will appear on the screen if this file is damaged, removed, or renamed.
This frequently happens when the files have been mistakenly replaced or quarantined by your anti-virus or firewall security program, most likely because the files were identified as infected with a malware or virus.
However, If everything else is functioning normally on your computer, then it is very unlikely that your company files are damaged or corrupted because of a virus attack.
Often by removing the “quickbooks.exe” file out of the list of quarantined files in your anti-virus program or by running the windows system repair tool can help you resolve 80029c4a Error when opening QuickBooks.
Indications of QuickBook update Error 80029c4a
- Company file will be running slow after starting QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks Won’t open or will freeze on start up.
- 80029c4a Error will often occur during login attempts in database.
- QB will often loose connection to the files in multi-user hosting mode.
- Applications open on the PC, including windows will crash
- Windows goes into not responding mode as soon you open QB.
Reasons why 80029c4a Error occurs in QB?
At times it may feel daunting and seem complex to find out the source of such QB Errors, However 80029c4a specifically occurs from one of the following sources:
- The 80029c4a Error will occur during startup, shutting down or windows update installation.
- When QuickBooks Installation files are damaged the 80029c4a error will show up.
- Also, Missing DLL files from your operating system is a common reasons for such errors.
- When a company file cannot be identified as a QBW file because it has been infected.
- Sometimes because an anti-virus security program has quarantined certain files from the QuickBooks application.
- Outdated windows components can cause this error when opening QB.
- The registry files or folders may have been corrupt or damaged.
- Incomplete or Interruptions during the last QuickBooks desktop update.
9 ways to fix QuickBooks Error 80029c4a
Because the error 80029c4a in QuickBooks can occur from a variety of sources, restarting your PC is the best place to start troubleshooting. Additionally, this guide has been divided into three sections with detailed explanations to help you move from basic to advanced troubleshooting methods to help you locate and resolve the Error.
Fix 1: Restart your PC
QuickBooks Users who use Windows’ “Fast Startup” feature should keep in mind that a shutdown does not re-initialize your system — you must restart the PC on which you are running or storing QB files to avoid 80029c4a errors.
Restarting your computer can deal with some of the most common errors that occur while running QuickBooks or any software on windows. You open and close many programs while working on your computer, what you might not realize is that many logs and temporary caches are created in the background during this process. These background processes leave behind races of footprints of all the applications, files and folders that were open with the majority of them being stored in the Random access memory (RAM) of your PC.
When the RAM is full, a memory leak occurs, resulting in slowdowns and various types of errors. When you restart your computer, all programs are terminated, the power is turned off, and the RAM is cleared. This gives your system a clean slate and a fresh start thus less chances of critical errors.
If the error persists after restarting your PC then move to Fix 2.
Fix 2: Repair QuickBooks Installation files
- Open Start menu > Go to Settings > Click on Apps > Select Apps and Features.
- Select QuickBooks from the list of installed apps.
- Click on Advanced Options > Select Repair Or Reset.
Repair using the control panel Option:
- Type Control Panel in the search bar and click to open the program from the search results.
- Now Select Programs > Next, Programs and features.
- Now Right-click on QuickBooks.exe and select Repair, If you see the option Change then click on change and follow the on screen instructions to complete the repair process.
Fix 3: Update QuickBooks Desktop application
- “Close” the “QuickBooks Desktop app” and the “company files”.
- Click on the “windows key” to open “start menu”.
- “Type QuickBooks”, Once the app appears “right-click” on the “QB icon” and “select Run as Administrator”.
- Go to the “Help menu” while viewing the “No Company Open screen” and choose “Update QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Select the “Options tab”. “Check all the boxes”, then click “Save”.
- “Select the Reset Update checkbox” on the “Update Now tab”.
- Select “Get Updates” when you’re prepared.
Fix 4: Fix corrupted files using the SFC Service
- Click “Start”.
- “Type CMD” in the search bar.
- “Right-click CMD.exe” and select “Run as administrator”.
- At the “User Account Control (UAC)” prompt, click “Yes”.
- Type “SFC / Scannow” in the input prompt window and press “Enter”.
- The “System File Checker” utility checks the integrity of Windows system files and repairs them if necessary.
Fix 5: Install and run the windows fix it tool
- Open the windows troubleshooter. Or Select Start > Select Settings > Click on Update and Security > Choose Troubleshoot.
- Open the Aditional Troubleshooter option.
- Under Find and Fix problem option Select Program Compatibility > Select Run the troubleshooter.
Allow the troubleshooter to run and detect and resolve QuickBooks and Windows compatibility issues. Once finished, answer the questions on the screen, and if you see a message saying no updates or changes are required, restart your PC and open QuickBooks to see if the 80029c4a error has been resolved.
If the issue still persists then follow Fix 6.
Fix 6: Restore QuickBooks files from Quarantine
Suspicious files are quarantined by Microsoft Defender Antivirus. You can restore a file that has been quarantined if you are certain it is safe. In this case it will be any of the following quickbooks.exe files found in the list of quarantined files should be retained to fix “QuickBooks Error 80029c4a”.
- In the windows search bar type “Windows Defender”.
- Choose “Virus & threat protection”.
- Open “Protection history”.
- “Apply” the Quarantined Items filter to the list of all recently added items.
- Now check to see if you find any or all of the following files listed below.
- Select all the above files and click on restore.
Similarly, if you use another third-party anti-virus security program such as mcafee, Norton or Kaspersky then follow the instructions in the manufacturers official website to find out how to restore files that has been mistakenly quarantined by your security software.
Fix 7: Update anti-virus program on the system
- Click on the Avast icon on your desktop screen or task bar and select “update Engine and Virus Definitions”.
- Hit the Check for updates button if your Avast Antivirus doesn’t begin checking for updates automatically.
- Wait while Avast Antivirus updates virus definitions and completes installing new updates.
- You can see the status: “Virus definitions are up-to-date once the update is finished”.
- For the new updates to take effect you will need to restart your computer, Select “Restart Now” when prompted.
Fix 8: Run reboot.bat to Register QuickBooks Files
- “Close QuickBooks”.
- Find the folder containing the “reboot.bat” file.
- On windows 10 and 11: “Right-click” on the “QuickBooks Desktop icon” and Go to Properties > Select Open file location.
- Select the Reboot.bat file > Right-Click > Select Run as Administrator.
- It will launch a Command (DOS) window with a list of files that scrolls rapidly. This window shouldn’t be manually closed. The window will close once the reboot.bat file utility has finished registering QB.
- Open QuickBooks to see if the problem is fixed, “Restart your computer” if necessary.
Fix 9: Clean install QuickBooks Desktop
- Make a note of your QuickBooks Product ID and License info by pressing F2 on your keyboard.
- After that, Open ‘Control Panel’ and Select ‘Programs & Features’.
- Select the QuickBooks version from the list and choose Uninstall.
Note: If you are unable to uninstall the program then logout and log back in as an Administrator to Uninstall QuickBooks.
- Next, Download the QuickBooks installer.
- Open the “QuickBooks.exe file”.
- Follow the instructions on your screen and “Accept the terms of service”.
- “Enter your product ID” and “license info”.
- Using in single user mode: “Select Express install“.
- Using in multi-user mode: “Select Custom and Network install”.
- Once complete then “Open QuickBooks”.
Because the causes of “QuickBooks Error 80029c4a” are numerous, it may be difficult to pinpoint the source of the problem right away. For instance, the error may be caused by a compatibility issue, while at other times it may be caused by a corrupted company file. However, because QuickBooks runs on Windows 10, missing components or damaged files in the Windows registry can also cause such errors when opening, updating, or accessing a company file in multi-user mode.
In this article we have gathered all of the proven troubleshooting steps to solve the error and regain access to your accounting software, while taking into account all of the scenarios in which a user may have difficulty accessing QB.
Additionally you can get in touch with our QuickBooks Experts between 8.00 AM to 8.00 PM Monday to Friday and get help on the phone or on chat.