While QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise versions offer a great number of advanced features which makes accounting a breeze for many businesses, However, there are occasions when you are unable to access your company file, which stores your accounting data, because of QuickBooks Error 80070057.
Even though the line of Error code may appear different to some QB Desktop user but the steps to troubleshoot and fix the issues remain the same which we have explained in details in this article.
Here is an image and the list of the two common 0x80070057 error codes most users experience.
QuickBooks Error 80070057: There was an unexpected error reported while trying to open QB company file.
Error Code: 80070057 Description: The Parameter is Incorrect.Error Codes.
Because the error does not occur from one particular source it makes it even more difficult to find a solution right away. While often this type of error code has been directly related to windows operating systems and not particularly with QuickBooks.
However, the latest reports also show that this error may as well occur because of a corrupted file or drive that stores your data.
This article has outlined the solutions to fix this issue for everyone, regardless of the version of QB software you are running or the mode of access you are using (single user -multi-user mode).
What is Error code 80070057 and why does it occur?
The answer is that these errors can occur for a variety of reasons. After providing support to over a dozen QuickBooks Desktop users. we noticed firstly, the reason for the 80070057 error was unique for each user and secondly, the cause for these errors had specifically to do more with the company file than it had to do with the QuickBooks software.
Moreover, how QuickBooks is configured plays an important role in understanding the source of the problem, which, once identified, makes it easier to perform the necessary steps for troubleshooting.
Although some users may experience the error as a result of a recent Windows security update or changes made to the firewall settings, others may experience the error as a result of a network connectivity issue or a damaged company file.
Error 80070057 typically indicates that the company file containing your accounting data has been damaged, misplaced, or relocated. Therefore, when you open QuickBooks Desktop, it is unable to retrieve the file to open from the folder where it is normally stored, as a result the following error message appears on your screen.
To be clear, this does not occur because your file has been lost or deleted, but because QuickBooks is currently unable to read the file due to a damaged file path, Windows folder permission issues, or file extension changes.
What are the Outcomes of update Error 80070057 in QuickBooks Desktop?
- QuickBooks company file will not open.
- “The parameter is incorrect” Error code will appear on your screen.
- File data will be inaccessible for users.
- Permission denied to access or share files with other users.
- Multi-user feature will not work to share files over the network.
- Restoring previous data will not work.
- Users will not be able to login to the file causing the error.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll will not run.
- Creating a backup of your current data will not be possible.
Why QuickBooks Error code 80070057 appears?
- The network file path to the QuickBooks desktop data File has changed or damaged.
- Firewall is blocking the connection to the folder that stores your company file.
- When you are not logged in as an Admin to access QuickBooks.
- The company file is not a re-writable file.
- Folder permissions are not set to share, access, modify or Edit a file.
- The server that hosts your company data is turned off or in Hibernation mode.
- Local Computer is not connected to the network through which the file is shared.
- QuickBooks desktop has not been updated to the latest release.
- The location of the company files folder has changed, Due to which QB is unable to locate the file you are trying to open.
- Components such as the .ND and TLG required to open a company file is damaged.
- Database server manager is turned off as a result multi-user feature is not functioning.
How to Fix Error code 80070057 in single user QuickBooks?
The method for tackling the issue and troubleshooting to find a solution depends on how QB is configured.
- QB Single User Mode.
- QB Multi-User Mode.
We have divided the troubleshooting steps into two categories; however, some of these steps apply to both single users, who use QuickBooks only from one computer, and multi-user users, who share the file over the network using QuickBooks multi-user mode setup.
But if you are aware of your QB setup you will know which steps to follow as you move along.
Step 1: Open Company file Correctly
Their are two ways to open a company file in QuickBooks Desktop. One way is to directly click on the company file that stores your data with the .QBW extension at the end, when clicked twice it will take you straight into the QuickBooks Desktop Dashboard.
The 2nd way which is the recommended way is to Open your QuickBooks Desktop Application first on your computer select the file you want to access and enter your user name and password to login to the dashboard.
If you have tried both the above methods and still unable to open your company file than move to the next step to update QuickBooks to the latest release.
Step 2: Check the current version of QuickBooks
Firstly, navigate to the Product information window to check if you have the latest version of QuickBooks updates installed on your software.
- Open your QuickBooks application.
- Press F2 on your keyboard to open the product information window.
- Under Versions Used on file section you will see the Version ID and Date.
If you’re not sure if you’re looking at the most recent update or you discover that QuickBooks hasn’t been updated to the most recent version, go to step 3 to learn how to manually install QuickBooks updates.
Step 3: Download and Install latest Quickbooks update
Their are two methods to update QuickBooks, 1st is to setup an automatic update and 2nd through manual updates. we will pick the manual update option to fix error 80070057 in QuickBooks.
- Close QuickBooks then return to your desktop screen.
- On windows 10 go to the search bar located in the bottom of your screen.
- Type QuickBooks Desktop, Right-click the QB icon then select Run as Administrator.
- If you are prompted to give permission Click Yes to Go to the No company Open screen.
- Now Select Update QuickBooks Desktop from the help menu.
- In the next window you will see three tabs, Overview, Options and Update Now.
- Select the update now tab then check mark all the latest updates available from the list.
- Now click on the Get updates button and wait until the updates are complete.
Once the updates have been downloaded successfully it is time to install them. To do this first close and then reopen QuickBooks. You will be asked if you want to install the updates now? “click yes”. After the updates have been installed restart your computer and open your company file.
Step 4: Run QuickBooks as an Administrator
A QuickBooks user may often encounter error 80070057 The parameter is incorrect because of limited permission issues that results in restrictions set by the Administrator to access QB files and programs on the PC.
Here is how to solve this.
- Close your QuickBooks Application.
- Type QuickBooks on the windows search bar.
- Right-click then select Run as Administrator
You should be redirected to the company file login screen to enter your password, If not then select the file you want access from the list to login. If you see an error than change the location of your company file to its original location.
Step 5: Set the default location for your company files
Changing the location of your company files causes QuickBooks Error 80070057.
When you install QuickBooks desktop, the program usually generates a default folder in which to keep all of the company files used to conduct your accounting.
If you have changed the location of these files to a new disk or folder, QB may be unable to access them. So, copy the files to its default location to fix the issue.
- Close your QuickBooks Software.
- Open file explorer then Browse to the folder where your company file is currently stored.
- From the list find a file ending with the .QBW extension.
- Copy the file.
- Now got to: C:/users/publicDocuments/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files.
- This will open the default location of your company files.
- Right-Click and Paste the .QBW file you copied earlier into this folder.
- Reopen QuickBooks, Select the option that says Find a company file.
- Choose to open the local drive and search the name of your company file.
- Now choose your file from the list and select Open.
Note: If QuickBooks is set up in multi-user mode, be sure you share access to the files after you’ve shifted the location by setting up folder permissions to share the data across the network.
Getting Quickbooks Error 80070057 in multi-user mode?
If you are unable to share a company file over the network with the multi-user feature turned on in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and you see the error code 80070057 only on the user PC but not on the host computer then reset Windows permission for those files and folders so they can be viewed and shared over a network, shared drive, or from the remote computer that stores the files.
Furthermore, each QuickBooks version contains relevant components that must be updated accordingly in order for the software to work in multi-user mode.
Additionally, To determine the source of the problem, ensure that the multi-user settings in the QuickBooks database server manager app are configured properly and running. So it can deliver a user’s request to access a data file from a computer that is connected to the network.
Following that, Run the file doctor tool to perform a full scan of the company files that are displaying the update error 80070057.
Doing this will remove any faults or damages that may be present in the data files. In order to use the file doctor you will have to download and install the QuickBooks Tools hub to the computer the that is running QuickBooks.
The tools hub is a collection of repair tools bundled together in one application to assist in resolving of different types of QuickBooks issues. In this case, to troubleshoot and resolve error 80070057,
From the tools hub first use the Network issues option and if that doesn’t fix the error than continue with the file doctor to repair damages in your data.
We recommend running it on a 64-bit Windows 10 PC.
Step 1: Download and Install QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click here to download the latest version of QuickBooks Tools Hub on your computer.
- Make sure to save the downloaded file at a location easy for you to access.
- Once download completes go ahead and open the file name (quickbookstoolshub.exe)
- Complete the installation by following the on-screen instructions.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and continue.
- Once the installation is complete, double-click the tool hub icon on your windows PC to launch it.
Step 2: Use QB File Doctor to fix file errors
- Open QuickBooks Tools Hub and Select Company file issues.
- Now, from the menu, choose and run QuickBooks File Doctor. In rare situations, the file doctor may take some time to become operational. If it does not open, open it manually by searching for QBD File Doc.
- Next, in QB file doctor, choose the file causing the issue from the drop down menu. If you don’t find the file in the list, navigate to the file location to open the file and let the scanning process to finish.
- Now click on the Check Your File Option and continue.
- Enter the company file admin password and hit next.
File doctor will begin scanning your files for errors and damages. The time it takes to scan your file is determined on the size. It may take up to 7 minutes in most instances.
When the scan is finished, start QuickBooks desktop and log in to your company file.
Step 3: Manually fix Company file error 80070057
The.ND also know as the (Network Data) and the .QBW file are short forms of file extensions. These files are located in your company file folder, they provide the information required by the server’s port and IP address to share QB data in multi-user mode.
When QuickBooks tries to launch company data it generally looks for the .ND file in the folder and validates if .QBW file is functional accordingly it attempts to communicate with the host computer.
When this communication is successful the dashboard of your company file will open but if its not that you will be prompter with 80070057 error on your screen.
Hence here is a quick way rename and create a new version of these files to solve the problem.
Step 4: Rename the .ND and .TLG file
- Browse to the folder where you company files are stored.
- Locate the file with a .ND extension starting with the same name as your company file.
- Now Select the .ND file.
- Right-click and choose to Rename.
- Name it .OLD and hit enter to save For ex. Companyname.OLD.
- Close all the folders on your screen and restart QuickBooks.
If you were able to login without the error this means your .ND file was damaged and when you reopened QB it automatically created a new one and the error has been fixed.
After that if the connection is successful, QuickBooks will open your company file. But when unable to connect, QB will notify you with the following Error 80070057 which means that the connection to the host computer was lost, and QuickBooks was unable to communicate with the database server manager.
Here is how to fix the connection issue.
Step 5: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open the Tools hub application on your computer.
- Select Network issues form the list of options.
- Choose Database Server Manager from the menu. You might be requested to install QuickBooks if it isn’t already installed on your Server.
- Select Start Scan, If your company files are listed in the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- If the files aren’t listed than navigate to the company file’s location, select the file causing 80070057 error and click start scan.
- Once the scan has completed without any error Select Close.
Step 6: Modify Bitdefender firewall settings to allow QuickBooks access
- Open bit defender firewall interface.
- Select Protection tab from the left sidebar.
- In FIREWALL module, click Settings button.
- Select Rules tab to see the list of programs that had rules previously defined for them.
- Click the Add rule option to create a rule for QuickBooks. Following that, a new window will open.
- Select if the rule apply to all apps by clicking the switch in the upper area of the window.
- Browse and navigate to the Quickbooks.exe file to setup a new rule.
- Choose one of the Permission options:
- Allow QuickBooks application to have network and internet access.
- Select the Grey switch to set specific permissions.
- Select the Network Type to which the rule will apply. You have the following options: Any network, private or public.
- Next, choose the IP Protocol to which the rule will apply.
- Finally, choose the traffic direction.
- Outbound: The rule only applies to outgoing traffic.
- Inbound: This rule only applies to incoming traffic.
- Both: The rule applies to both directions.
If you are using Windows firewall here is how to Configure a Windows Firewall for Database
While running QuickBooks Desktop on a windows system errors are common, This happens due to changes in system files, specially new updates from windows makes company files incompatible causing “QuickBooks Error 80070057 The parameter is incorrect” sort of errors.