QuickBooks Error H202 problem specifically occurs in QuickBooks desktop applications when multiple users tries to access the same company file over a network or windows server from different workstations using the multi-user mode functionality built within QuickBooks.
One of the most common reasons for the error H202 is when the network firewall is blocking the connection between the QuickBooks database server manager (An additional application required to allow QuickBooks to function in multi-user mode) that is installed on the windows server that hosts your company files.
This firewall block causes your QB software to identify this as a invalid file path while trying to switch to multi-user mode or open a accessible file and therefore prompts with the error code h202 in QuickBooks.
Firewall is one out of the dozen other reasons for such connection problems to occur in QB, for a more clear overview and in depth understanding of the root cause for error h202 follow along this article to learn more.
Here is an image of the message usually displayed on most user’s PC notifying that “QuickBooks needs help as it is unable to connect to the host computer to open your company file.”
Unfortunately, this is a common problem encountered by users using QB desktop pro, premier or enterprise software solutions in multi-user mode through a server
While their is nothing to worry about as in this article we have explained in depth on how to fix Error H202 switching to multi-user mode with several proven methods to help you connect back to your company file quickly without anymore operational delays in the future.
Furthermore, this tutorial is aiming to provide you with information on how to fix lost connection between your host computer and the workstations using QB Desktop versions Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2020 to 2021.
How to start troubleshooting H202 error in QuickBooks?
To begin with, Please make sure that you have QuickBooks database server manager installed on the host computer that is hosting your data before you move further with the following methods.
Besides Error H202 this guide will also help you resolve other common multi-user setup errors such as H101, H505 in QB Desktop.
These steps may require some basic technical knowledge. So, we recommend that you pay attention during the troubleshooting session to avoid causing any damages to your accounting data. So, before you begin be sure to back up your files.
If you are not familiar on how QuickBooks is setup than check this article to learn about QB multi-user mode setup.
Now, let’s look at what this error means and how it triggers following with 12 proven steps to fix QuickBooks error h202 server 2012.
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
- When QB tries to communicate with the database it tries to locate the .ND file which is a small text file and has the same name as your company file, but appears with a .ND extension. The same folders also have the .QBW extension which contains the information required to connect to the server port and IP address.
- Now QB desktop can specify if the .QBW extension is in use.
- When QB is able to locate the .ND extension and confirms that .QBW is operable, it tries to communicate with the host computer.
- QB will open your data if the communication is successful.
- When you see the H202 code on your computer this means that the connection to the host computer was lost and thus could not communicate with the database.
9 Reasons to causes QuickBooks error h202 switching to multi-user mode
When you try to access your data, QB tries to initiate a connection with the host computer to open your company file, during this attempt QB fails to connect to the remote computer because of a missing or damaged component which results with the following errors such as H101, H202, H505, and other common H-series failed to connect errors.
Here is a list of the most common and default components that are required and can cause a connection issue with your database while using QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- The server firewall is interrupting incoming and outgoing communication.
- Damage QuickBooks database .
- DNS server damage or confliction can cause this issue.
- QuickBooksDBxx service is not running on the host computer.
- QBCFMonitor is not running on this computer error.
- A corrupted database could be one of main reasons to this error.
- QB is unable to locate the IP address of the Host computer.
- The Standard hosting configuration is defective or faulty.
- Missing or damaged .ND files.
Also, read network connection problems occurred due to QBDBMgrN not running.
12 ways to fix QuickBooks error h202
Important: We recommend you perform a backup of your QBW data before initiating the troubleshooting steps mentioned below. By doing this you can be certain to restore the original data from backup if required.
Complete these steps one by one to identify the connection issue between the server and the computer in your network and successfully get h202 error in QuickBooks Fixed.
Step1: Start with configuring your firewall settings
Error code h202 in QuickBooks may occur when the firewall is blocking internet access for specific functions of the QB software to function properly.
Try updating your firewall to the latest version which might help in resolving the issue. Additionally, Check to confirm that your firewall is set to allow connection to the host computer,
You can use the QuickBooks file doctor to fix the firewall from blocking communication issues, In case this tool did not fix QuickBooks multi-user error code h202 then continue to read and find out how to configure your firewall manually.
Configure firewall manually
- Open start menu in Windows.
- Type “Windows Firewall” into the search bar to open Windows Firewall.
- Go to Advanced Settings
- On the left select Inbound Rules
- Select New Rule.
- Check Port and hit Next.
- Select TCP from the box.
- Choose the specific ports from the list below which is categorized to the software version and enter the correct port in the local port field.
- 2020 QuickBooks Firewall Ports: 8019, XXXXX.
- 2019 QB Firewall Port: 8019, XXXXX
- 2018 QB Firewall Port: 55378,56728.55382,8019
- 2017 QB Firewall Port: 55373,56727.55377,8019.
Note: The latest editions of QuickBooks use dynamic ports those are specified firewall ports assigned automatically while installing QB. So as you can see that the 8019, XXXXX are the default ports for QB 2019 and later versions.
Step2: I see error H202 when contacting the server
if the QuickBooksDBxx server service has stopped running due to which the QuickBooks enterprise error code h202 is prompting on your computer screen than in this step we will help you find the QuickBooksDBxx service files and restart the services to ensure that they are running properly on your server computer.
- Press Windows key and letter R simultaneously.
- Now type services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Find the QuickBooksDBXX services in the list.
Note: XX refers to the version of QuickBooks running on your server.
- Double click on QuickBooksDBXX to open properties
- Set startup type to Automatic.
- Select Start ifservice status is not running or did not get started Automatically
Here is an infographic to help you further with this step.
- Next Click on the Recovery tab now
- Select Restart the Service in all the sections first failures, second failures and, Subsequent failures.
- Finally to save the changes Click Apply then OK.
Now that we have completed the above steps, let’s go ahead and open QB on the user’s workstations.
First of all turn multi-user mode back on in QB.If you can access your data without the H202 than great your problem has been resolved.
Step 3: Fix Error H202 multi-user in Windows Control Panel
- Make sure to Close QB in all the Workstations
- Open Programs and features from the Window Start Menu
- In the installed programs list find QB > right click on the program > select Change/repair
- On the next window Check all the options
- Wait until Windows has Completed Repairing QB .
- Next, open your software and check for the latest updates. Go to Help from the top menu > Choose Update QuickBooks desktop from the drop-down list > Update now > once the update is complete Restart computer.
If the issue was related to the program than this step has fixed the QuickBooks 2019 h202 error multi-user. After restarting your server you might not be experiencing any further communication issues with the workstations.
Step 4: Now add QuickBooks server to Windows host file
Before you continue with this step obtain admin user rights to get the IP address and computer name for your server and workstations both.
Note: Your server hosts the original .QBW extension and a workstation is a user computer from which you access the data stored on the server.
Now lets us apply the following steps on your server computer first and then on your workstations.
Here’s how to get your IP address and computer name.
- Open the Run windows by pressing Windows + R on the keyboard.
- Type “cmd” in the Run window and hit enter.
- Type “ipconfig space /all” and press enter.
- Now make note of the hostname and the IP address.
Here is an image to show how it should appear on your screen.
Now you have the server IP and the Computer names, Next, we will show you how to Edit and Save the Windows Host file. We will run these steps on both the workstations and server on which you are experiencing the Error.
- Go to the windows start menu and type the following:
- Select the Host file from the list.
- Right-click on the file and choose to open with Notepad.
Now enter the IP address and the computer name you obtained earlier in the host area on this notepad. Follow the image below
Look at this image to get an idea on where to enter the IP address and the server name:
Reminder: Make sure you have updated the server name and IP address on both the workstations and on the server.
Assuming that you have performed all the above steps correctly now let’s go ahead and save the changes you just made to the host file.
- Press Ctrl + S and as you would generally attempt to save a notepad.
- Save as “hosts”, along with the quotation marks.
- Make sure to save it on the desktop.
- Return back to the file location
- Right-click and rename the file to Hosts Old.
- On your keyboard press Ctrl + S and close the notepad.
- Close the notepad.
Now go ahead and open your QB to see if performing the above steps has solved your problem with switching to multi-user mode, or we shall continue with the next step.
Note: Keep the server name handy as you would need it while performing the next step.
Step 5: Run a Network Connection Test
In the following step, we will send a query/ping using the command window to check the connection between the host machine and the workstations.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to file > utilities > select turn off hosting mode.
- Go to the Windows search bar and type run to open the run window.
- Type CMD and click OK.
Here is an image of the window that will open up on your screen:
- Type ping space “[server name]” excluding brackets from the sides of the server name.
- Continue to ping on each workstation experiencing connected to the network.
While trying to ping your server from workstations if you experience a slow response or packet loss than you might rather want to call a QuickBooks expert and get help with repairing your Network issues before you can troubleshoot any further.
Additionally here you can find out how to rename a file server to fix H202 Error?
Step 6: Move company data to a different location
- Open Quickbooks in single-user mode and log in.
- Press F2 to see the Product Information.
- Copy the location from under File Information.
- Open a folder and paste the location path and press enter.
- Select and Copy the .TLG and .QBW files from the folder.
- Go to your Desktop screen.
- Right-click and choose to create a new folder
- Paste them into the new folder.
- Set Windows access permissions for the New Folder.
- Turn to host mode on try to access your data now.
If the problem persists while accessing your data in multi-user mode than continue troubleshooting with the following steps.
Step 7: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Here’s how you can download and run the File doctor tool to resolve network issues related to error code h202 QuckBooks 2020.
- Install the tool on your computer
- Click on the browse button to choose your database.
- Click to continue to scan your data for problems.
Once the tool completes the scan of your data open QB in multi-user mode to check if the problem has been resolved.
Continue with the next step if the problem is not fixed.
Step 8: Run QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool
Read this Article to learn about the connection diagnostic tool before you continue.
The QB connection diagnostic tool can help you repair damages and errors on your company file which causes network problems to communicate with the company file from the host computer and fix H-series errors.
Once you have downloaded the Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- Go to Utilities Menu and select repair Network problems.
- lick YES on the next window and press Continue.
- Choose the damaged file from the list > “show advanced settings”.
- Select the Error or problem you are facing with your Network from the Dropdown list.
- Now log in to continue.
Wait while the Diagnostic tool repairs your damaged data and fixes the network issues related to multi-user mode compatibility. This may take some time.
Once the scan is complete restart your software and try to access your data from a workstation to confirm if error code H202 in QuickBooks has been fixed, if not go to the next step.
Step 9: Reinstate the database server manager
Sometimes something as simple as just restarting the database manager has helped many users solve the H202 Error.
Lets perform the following steps to see if this is the solution to accomplish fixing this error:
- Press Windows key + Run to open the run box.
- Type services.MSC and click OK.
- From the list of services find QuickBooksDB28 for , QBDB29 for , QBDB30 for 
- Double click on your version of the software and Select stop to disable it.
- Right-Click and Choose startup type as Automatic
- Again right-click on the service and select restart the QuickBooksDB service from the drop-down.
- Now exit and restart your computer.
Once your computer is back on, Open QB desktop and check if you can communicate in multi-user mode now, If you still unable to access your files because the database manager is not working properly then renaming or recreating the .TLG and .ND from the backup folder is our next option.
Step 10: How to rename the .ND and .TLG file?
As we mentioned earlier in this article that when QB is trying to communicate with the host computer it looks for the .ND and the .QBW files is always in the same directory and ensures that it is in use to re-establish a connection successfully.
If QB is unable to locate these files than error code h202 QuickBooks 2017 will occur but don’t worry let’s recreate the .ND and .TLG on the computer with the error.
- Navigate to the company file backup folder to locate the .ND extension.
- Or simply Type *.ND on the windows search bar.
- You can choose to keep the damage .ND file but Rename it with a prefix (.ND.OLD).
- Or Right-Click and choose Delete.
- Confirm deletion if prompted on the screen
- Find the .TLG extension in the same directory and rename it too (.TLG.OLD)
- Next, Open database server manager to recreate new .ND and .TLG in the same folder.
- Press the Scan folder tab.
- Click Add and browse to the location of the company file folder.
- Choose the company file causing Error H202 and Press Ok.
- Start the scan and wait for the scan results to complete.
- After the database manager has Completed the Scan Restart QB.
Step 11: Use the QuickBooks Tools Hub to fix H202 Error
The All-in-one QuickBooks tools hub can help with fixing network connectivity issues. Furthermore, with innumerable problems related to Error H202 and other common Software or company file issues.
For detailed understanding learn more about the QuickBooks tools hub please continue to read this article and Download tools hub here.
Once you have download the tools hub on the left you will see all the features you need and many tools to address different problems related to multi-user issues and accounting data.
- Data file issues: This tab can help you with problems related to .QBW. Such as unable to open the company file, lost lists or data, and errors such as 6000, 6000-77.
- Network problems: Run the tool on your server computer and use this tab to fix QB H202 Error or H505.
- Program Problems: If you are having trouble accessing QB such as the program wouldn’t start or QB crashes, stopped working use this feature to find a solution including any PDF or printing-related issues from QB.
- Installation Issues: In case you are trying to uninstall the program or unable to reinstall getting error 1904. Use this tab.
- Password reset: This feature will help you reset passwords on your company data file.
Once the tool has repaired the company data successfully from here on moving forward switching to multi-user mode should not be a problem anymore.
Step 12: Update Windows to repair QB
Perform a windows version update check on every single computer including your server on which QuickBooks is being operated or specifically the user’s PC’s on which you are experiencing the following h202error. We recommend that all newer versions of QB from 2019 on should run on windows 10, If you are using a older version than now is the time to update your operating system.
Here is a simple way to perform system updates on your windows computers running QB.
- Go to the search bar and type windows update.
- From the list of search results choose windows update settings or simply click on check for updates, Once you are on the page you will the last checked for updated date and time.
- Now click on the Check for updates button.
- Windows will run a scan to see if their are new updates available and automatically update the required drivers and files and programs.
- After the updates have completed go ahead and restart your computer.
- Once you are back on login to your PC and open QuickBooks and try to access the same company file on which you initially experienced the error.
- If you are still unable to open the data file than go ahead and repair QB as shown above in step 3.
Being a QuickBooks Pro Advisor we are interested in guiding our readers to Quick solutions with problems you might face while operating the QB desktop software. In this post, we have covered all the proven and effective technical steps that has helped hundreds of users to find a solution to fix QuickBooks error H202 and we hope your problem has been solved as well by now.
Let us know if you need any further help, You can contact support via Phone: +1 971-205-3827
You can send us an email: email@example.com
Additionally, you can also Log in to leave a query and receive help via our Expert’s community.