If your company is growing and you started having more employees, you might need to move QuickBooks to multiple computers to manage the bookkeeping. Many people are wondering if it’s even possible to use their license on multiple devices. The answer is their is no limitation to QuickBooks multi-user mode setup as QuickBooks is a very user-friendly application, which allows you to install and use the software on a second computer.
This way you are not only using the multi-user feature, but can also use your QuickBooks from two different work stations. Being able to work simultaneously will save you a lot of time, as well as increase the overall workflow and productivity.
There are three QuickBooks Desktop versions that come with the multi user mode feature that lets multiple users to work on the same company file at the same time.
Here is the number of users/licenses allowed for each version:
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro – 3 Users
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier – 5 Users
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise – 30 Users
In this article you will learn how to move your company files to another computer by setting up a multi-user mode network.
How to install and setup QuickBooks multiple user mode network?
If you want to share your QuickBooks Desktop with more employees, you need to apply some changes in your setup.
Step 1: Setup your QuickBooks Desktop
In the multi-user network there is only one system that hosts your company files. That is the so called server system. All the other computers that are connected to the network but don’t host the company file are called workstations.
- Start with downloading and installing QuickBooks Desktop on your server system.
- Click on Custom and Network Install to choose the install type.
- Now, choose I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, and I’ll be storing option, if you have the full version of QB Desktop on the server system. If you only wish to host your files, you should click I will not be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Note: Keep your QuickBooks company files on the hard drive of your server system. This way it will be easier for you to share them over the network.
Map network Drive-in with Windows
If you want a file or folder to be stored on another computer, server, or drive over the network, you can put your files on a mapped network drive. This enables you to access files from the shared storage through Mapping.
For Windows 8 and 10:
- Search This PC in the window search bar in the lower left corner of your screen. Now, select This PC.
- Find the Computer tab and select Map a network drive.
- Now select any unused drive and choose Browser.
- Then find the network location where you stored the QuickBooks company file, as shown in the screenshots below.
- Finish by clicking OK.
- Now reopen your QuickBooks company file from the new mapped drive.
Info: Try using the IP address of the server, if you are unable to map a network drive with the UNC. Do so by following these steps:
For Windows 7:
- Open your Windows Start Menu and select Computer.
- Find the Tools menu and select Map network drive. In case you can’t finde the Tools menu, press the Alt key to show the menu bar.
- Now click on any unused drive letter, and then select Browse.
- The next step is to visit your network location where you have stored your QB company file, as zou can see in the screenshot below.
Info: If you have issues mapping the network drive with the UNC, try using the IP address of the server.
- Now finish the process by clicking OK. You will see the new drive as Network Drive.
- Go ahead and open your QB company file through the new mapped drive.
Step 2: Set up or change the folder permission
Follow these next steps to set up the folder permission on your server computer. The folder where you stored your QB company files should have the permission to be on your network. Additionally, to work in a multi-user mode, all the components of your QB software have to be updated to the latest version.
Please read the user info before you start:
The installation directory should have the right permission.
- The QBDataServiceUserXX depends on the QB version you are using. If you face any errors, download and run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- It is possible that a workstation, that has the multi-user access enabled, switches into ‘Alternate Hosting Mode’. This means that it takes ownership of a company file and it might be impossible for other users to open the file.
- In case you are using the Microsoft Windows Home Edition, the security tab is not available in the normal mode. You will need to restart the system in Safe Mode to finish the process.
Restart your computer system. Then press F8 and open the Advanced Boot Window.2. Choose Safe Mode in the Advanced Boot window, and confirm with Enter.
How to set up the folder permission to share your company file in multiple user?
Make sure that the authorities and permissions are set correctly:
- Open the drop-down menu by right-clicking on your company file, and select Properties.
- Find the Security tab, and click on Advanced.
- Choose QBDataServiceUserXX, and then click on Edit.
- Mark all the following settings to Allowed:
- Write Attributes
- Write extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Traverse Folder / Execute File
- List Folder / Read Data
Create Files / Write Data
Create Folders / Append Data
Follow these steps if the permissions are not set properly:
- Right-click on your company file and select Properties.
- Choose Security, and then Edit.
- Now select QBDataServiceUserXX. Click on Full Control, and then Allow.
- Click Apply and confirm with OK.
Change the folder permission:
- Press the Windows and E key at the same time to open the File Explorer.
- Go to the partner folder and click on Properties.
Note that it is required to process these steps for each folder. All folders may not apply to each installation as they apply to a particular version of QB Desktop.
C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv8
C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv6.0
C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv5
C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv3
C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement Client
C:Program DataIntuitQuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:Program DataIntuitQuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
C:Program DataCOMMON FILESINTUIT
C:Program DataCOMMON FILESINTUITQUICKBOOKS
C:UsersPublicPublic DocumentsIntuitQuickBooksFAMXX (XX = year)
C:UsersPublicPublic DocumentsIntuitQuickBooksCompany Files
- Find the Security tab, and click Everyone.
Set Windows access permissions to share company files with 2nd computer
To avoid future issues while working with your company file across the network, make sure that your QuickBooks has the right access permission.
For Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Simultaneously press the Windows + E key on your keyboard.
- Right-click on the folder where your company file is stored.
- Now click on Properties, then Sharing, and then Share Add.
- Go ahead and select the QBDataServiceUserXX which is corresponding to your QB version.
- Now, to access full control over the file, set up the permission level.
For Windows 8.1
- To take ownership of the file, select Share.
- Open Advanced Security, then click on Change, Advanced, and then Find Now.
- Choose the user and confirm with OK.
- To grant full control, select the folder and click on Share.
- Choose the Advanced Security option and select Add, then Select a principal.
- Click on Advanced and then Find now.
- Select your user and confirm with OK.
- Now, choose Full control and click on OK.
Step 3: QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The database manager will help you to scan your computer to locate your company files and verify an existing setup
Scanning your data file is important for the database server manager to share your company files with other systems over the network. Make sure that it is installed on the computer/server that hosts your file.
Step 4: Set the Admin rights
Make sure that your Windows account, as well as the Database Server Manager has admin rights.
Step 5: Scan your files with Database Server Manager
After the successful installation of the Database Server Manager, scan the folder where your company files are stored. After finishing the process it should show you the files as „QuickBooks company files found“. This means you can now access the files in these folders through another system via the network.
Step 6: Turn on QuickBooks Multi-user mode setup
If you reached until here it means that you now only need to turn on the multi-user access on your server.
- Go to QuickBooks Desktop, and then open the File menu.
- Click on Utilities to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Host Multi-User Access and confirm with Yes.
That’s it you have successfully setup QuickBooks Desktop in multi-user mode .
Finally open QuickBooks on the workstations from which you intend to access the company file to ensure the multi-user network connection is working properly.
If your file open’s up on all the workstations than you are set !
Setting up QuickBooks for multiple users requires some know how about how servers, network and file sharing works. This article shows you the most easiest methods to help you with QuickBooks in multi-user mode setup. No matter the version of software you are running similar methods apply to setup QuickBooks pro, premier and enterprise in multiple user mode.
Incase you need further help and have questions please get in touch with our customer service representatives to get your Queries answered immediately.
You can email us at: email@example.com or reach us via our support phone number: +1 971 205 3827.