If you are using one of the many versions of QuickBooks desktop on windows and experience QuickBooks running slow or performance issues with QB Pro than consider running a proper system check-up, update the software components, and scan the company files for errors. Further, check the version of the application you are running and the configuration of the hardware components of your PC on which the software is installed to ensure that it meets the minimum system requirements.
System configuration plays an important role in QuickBooks desktop application to run at its optimum speed. However, Over the years your company data file size grows and a slow company file can also be one out of several causes why QuickBooks is running slow on windows.
Yes, it is true that proper system requirements should be met and configured correctly to speed up QB but that might not be the only reason why your QuickBooks desktop is running slow.
Let’s look into it more broadly as there are several factors that need to be considered before we can go ahead and Optimize QuickBooks Performance and Resolve QuickBooks desktop performance issues.
The results of QuickBooks desktop running slow
1. QB Re-installation fails.
2. The company file fails to update.
3. Unable to rebuild the Company data.
4. The data file can’t be copied or moved.
5. The connection to the data file gets lost during backup.
6. The QB client machine is not able to locate the data folder on your server.
7. Performance issues in multi-user mode.
8 Reasons to cause QuickBooks running slow
- QB is not updated.
- Your computer does not meet the system requirements.
- Your company files have reached the maximum size limit.
- The QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or missing.
- Firewall settings are misconfigured so they restrict various processes to function properly.
- Some program files or QB Desktop installation is damaged.
- Your hard drive is corrupted.
- The Windows operating system is damaged.
- Let’s troubleshoot each one of these issues starting with the first one.
Minimum system requirements for QuickBooks version
For QuickBooks Desktop users:
QB Desktop Pro comes with a minimum of 1 user and a maximum of 3 users license, similarly, Premier 1 to 5 users and Enterprise offer 1 to 30 users. (Runs on Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows servers 2019)
Requires a minimum of 4 GB ram for a single user or more depending on the number of users accessing the program at the same time, For eg., you will need 8 GB of RAM for 1 to 3 users to access company data folder at the same time and so forth the ram needs to be increased as the number of users increase in your organization.
QuickBooks Online is a complete web-based application runs on any browser and Operating System.
Though QB online is a complete web-based service, some services rely on the processing power of your device memory (RAM) and A high-speed internet connection is recommended for QBO online to load faster, we will look into the various possibilities of QuickBooks online running slow and how to speed up the performance of QuickBooks online.
- MAC Users:
QuickBooks MAC 2020 comes with a 1 user license capability that works on the latest version of the Macintosh OS (Catalina).
This version of the program is only designed for MAC computers and requires a minimum of 4 GB memory (RAM).
Let’s look at the complete guide to fix QuickBooks running slow Problems.
How to troubleshoot QB Desktop slow speed issues
Solution 1: Upgrade workstations to speed up QuickBooks.
- Upgrade to a solid-state drive.
- Ensure that you are using a 64-bit computer and an additional fast clock speed of 2.2GHz or more.
- Upgrade the Ram of your computer to 8GB or higher.
- Invest in a faster network connection with rotational speed above 7,500 rpm.
Solution 2: Install the QB Diagnostic tool
To fix the QuickBooks unable to update issue, let’s try to use the QB diagnostic tool to identify and fix .NET Framework, MSXML, and C++ file issues on windows systems.
- Learn and Download the QB diagnostic tool here.
- Save it to your computer.
- Close all programs.
- Run the QBinstall tool.
- Ensure that all the extensions and components are updated properly and then reboot your PC
After the computer has restarted open QB to see if the diagnostic tool has helped to increase the performance of or continue with the next steps mentioned below to troubleshoot the QuickBooks 2018 running slow issue.
Solution 3:Check the Anti-virus settings to ensure compatibility
Antivirus software: Some antivirus programs might affect the performance and cause QuickBooks pro-2017 running slow so disable your antivirus temporarily to find out if that helps with the QuickBooks running slow on Windows 10 issues.
- Press your Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the command box.
- Type MSConfig and hit Enter.
- Now reboot the system and check on the performance of your application.
- If the testing is completed, repeat the process open the run box insert MSconfig, and press enter.
- Go ahead and select the normal setup and confirm with OK.
Reset your system and check if this solution has increased QuickBooks’ performance.
Solution 4:Reset the.TLG file
Creating a backup copy of your recent company data folder, QuickBooks will reset the.TLG file which might also help in speeding up QuickBooks Performance.
- Navigate to > File > back up company file.
- Now select Create Local Backup.and then click on Options.
- Choose your Desktop as the location to save the backup.
- Make sure that the verification is completed and confirm with OK.
- Select Save it Now and click Next.
Solution 5: perform disk defragmentation of a company file
- Since the company data is located on the desktop, you should be able to create and restore a portable file.
- After creating the portable file, you can attempt disk defragmentation.
- Note: It is important that you don’t perform disk fragmentation if you are using Solid State Drive.
- Next, click on the Start button, select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentation.
- Now click on the Defragmentation button and follow the instructions to complete the task on your hard drive.
Solution 6: Check speed in UNC Path
- Press Windows + E simultaneously and find the server name under the network location field.
- Open it. You will find mapped drives int he following order X:\, Z:\, Y:\, etc.
- The server name that you are looking for has two backslashes (\\).
- Make a note of the server name.
- Now put the computer server name and shared folder name as \\ServerName\SharedFolderName and make a note of the pathname.
- Open QB and select Open or Restore a Company File.
- Choose a company file and click on Next.
- Fill in the UNC path in the file name field and hit Enter.
- Choose your company file from the list.
- Return to QB and use some features to Check if the QuickBooks running slow issue have been fixed.
Solution 7: Fix slow running QuickBooks on Network
In order to figure out and make sure if it is a network issue slowing down QB, you can test your QuickBooks in a multi-user environment. Incase performance issues arise when more than 1 person is logged in to the company folder, it is best to try solution 5. If QB is running slow with only 1 user logged in over the network, then follow the instructions given below.
- Open the application and press the F2 key.
- Locate the company data backup folder.
- Make sure all the users are signed out and exited out of QuickBooks
- Go to the Windows start menu and select my computer.
- Find the file path, click right on the.QBW extension, and copy the file.
- Paste it to the desktop.
- Open QB and restore the company file saved on the desktop.
- Now check if QuickBooks is running slow in multi-user mode.
Solution 8: why QuickBooks is slowing down in multi-user mode?
- The company data file size is too big comparing the system requirements,
- There are administrator permission issues on the server.
- Too many users are trying to open or use the same company file at the same time.
- Either due to errors or the size of the file, the database is taking too long to open.
- The computer, on which the data file is stored, is generally performing poorly.
- There is a large report running on a data file.
steps to Speedup QuickBooks in multi-user mode
- Upgrade your QB Desktop to the latest version.
- Ensure that the network, as well as the workstations that you are using, utilize Gigabit network components.
- Run regular monthly and manual backups of your data files.
- Try to access your database through URL rather than a shared drive.
- Make sure that all of your devices, on which you are running QB, are performing effectively and are junk-free.
Inspect the data file for integrity problems:
- Make sure that all users have logged out of the QuickBooks.
- Go to File menu > Utilities > Verify Data.
- Press OK to start the verification process.
- In case there are integrity issues, verifying data will automatically prompt you to run a repair on the database.
- If the verification process discovers an error, rebuild your company file. Make sure to examine the QBWin.log file for any errors.
Fix QuickBooks running slow after update
- Faster Internet Connection: A smooth and fast performance of the QB software depends on a high-speed internet connection along with a well-performing workstation or server combined.
- Server and device maintenance: Sometimes there can be multiple problems occurring due to unsupported servers or operating systems. To ensure that everything runs smoothly, clear cache and cookies on a regular basis to avoid QuickBooks running slow on Server and workstations.
- Create a verified backup: Open your QB software and click on File > Create Backup. Click on Local Backup > Options. and select the Complete Verification of your database.
- Try to prevent corruption: Naturally, any kind of corruption in QB can affect the performance of the software immensely. In order to prevent this from happening, make a portable data file, restore it, and use the QuickBooks File Doctor to repair corrupt database issues.
Is QuickBooks Online running slow?
Usually, the reason why your QuickBooks online runs so slow originate from browser issues or that the system requirements are not fulfilled. This is why QuickBooks is slow to open and your work-flow gets stagnated. here are 6 troubleshooting steps to fix the problem.
6 steps to speedup QuickBooks Online performance
Solution 1: Run QB solo
Make sure to close other programs or browser tabs that are currently not necessary, since each program or tab uses the system’s resources, which then slows down the operations in QB Online.
Solution 2: Update your browser
Whether you are using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Internet Explorer, each company frequently releases a browser update. Performing these updates regularly might help to make QB Online run faster.
Solution 3: Disable unnecessary browser plugins or extensions
Sometimes malicious or inefficient plugins or extensions can significantly slow down the speed of QuickBooks Online and in some cases even stop it from functioning at all. To avoid this, follow your browser’s instructions for disabling such plugins or extensions and thus will improve the overall speed.
Solution 4: Update Java or Flash
QB Online relies on software like Java or Flash to show invoices, estimates, or open PDF files and is important for other key features to function properly in QB online. Outdated or corruption of such software can cause QuickBooks to run slow and make it difficult to navigate and access the program features on QuickBooks online.
Solution 5: Use a different browser
Try using a different browser
In case you are using Internet Explorer – consider switching to Firefox, Opera, Edge, or Google Chrome, to check if the QuickBooks running slow issue still persists plus this will help you to figure out whether the issue is with the application or the browser on your system.
Solution 6: Upgrade your system
- PC: Intel Core i3 (or comparable processor, 2013 or newer) with 2GB of RAM and Windows 7 or later
Mac: Running OS X 10. 11 or later.
- An internet connection of 1.5 Mbps or more
- A screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768
Suggested system requirements
- PC: Intel Core i5 (or comparable processor, 2015, or newer) with 4GB or more RAM and Windows 7 or later.
- Mac: Running OS X 10. 13 or later.
- An internet connection of 3Mbps or more.
- A screen resolution of 1440 x 900 or higher.
- Windows users: Adobe Reader 11.0 (or higher) for printing.
If you have followed through all the solutions in this article then you surely managed to speed up your QuickBooks performance by now. All the instructions provided in this blog have solved QuickBooks running slow issues for several customers in the past and we keep on updating the post along with valuable insights to help customers like you to solve technical issues easily. In case you were unable to solve the issue by yourself due to a data corruption or damage issue then get in touch with our QB support experts at +1 971-205-3827 for further help. We’re here and ready to help you anytime.
Article Name: “QuickBooks running Slow”
Article Description: Performing a few troubleshooting steps can help you find out why quickbooks is running slow on your PC, Though the issue might not be always technical and may also occur if you have a large file size or if the file has errors. One out of the several steps in this article should be able to help you solve this issue and speed up your QuickBooks operations on Windows in the future.
Publisher Name: Account Pro Advisor
Hi i am Boro Chand a professional IT manager at Accounting Proadvisor. After finishing my degree from the Chicago institute of software and technology i have served a number of businesses in setting up their Accounting solutions from peachtree to sage and QuickBooks. I open to provide any help you might need. Please feel free to get in touch at: [email protected]