In case you were trying to access a web-page through your QuickBooks, but the website didn’t open and you got the error message „A problem has taken place in the script of this page“, then you are dealing with the QuickBooks Script Error. This can also occur when trying to open a QuickBooks company file. The script error message might look something like in the screenshot down below.
In this following blog post we will help you to recognize the possible causes behind the “QuickBooks Script Error” issue and, further we will emphasize on different scenarios to guide you with troubleshooting steps to get rid of the “script error message on QuickBooks”.
Follow the blog post to easily fix the error appearing on your QuickBooks desktop, this Solutions work for QuickBooks Pro, Premier and Enterprise.
What does QuickBooks Script Error mean?
QuickBooks desktop uses Internet Explorer to download updates as well as to open and display most of its program features. Script error in QuickBooks occurs when you are trying to access a web page and a window pops up saying “A problem has taken place in the script of this page”. which means a command could not be executed due to some issues in the program trying to connect to internet explorer. This is known as the „QuickBooks script error“
10 reasons why you are receiving the QuickBooks Script Error.
- You are using an already existing account name and account number.
- There is Malware or Spyware on your computer system.
- The processing functions are blocked or disabled.
- The script software format is incompatible with the downloaded data from the web source that you are trying to access.
- The cache of your internet browser is full or corrupted.
- The account you were trying to import an invoice or bill with, does not match with your available assets.
- The firewall of your computer or another third-party program is blocking the function of the script.
- Your QuickBooks data file is damaged.
- You were trying to import or dealing with an account that does not exist.
Solutions to help you fix QuickBooks Script Error message won’t go away?
Solution 1: Does the error occur while exporting?
- Make sure that you have a 32-bit version of the Internet Explorer
- Empty the cache and clear all the internet cookies with the following steps
- Open the tools section by clicking on the tool button in the upper right corner of the Internet Explorer.
- Open ‘Safety’ and choose ‘Delete browsing history’.
- Check off the website date and Cookies checkboxes and select ‘Delete’.
- Restart your computer and try again to export files in QuickBooks.
Solution 2: The Error occurs while importing.
- Start your Internet Explorer and open the ‘Tools’ menu.
- Select ‘Internet Options’ and go to the ‘Advanced tab’.
- Empty the notifications about your latest script errors, then click ‘OK’.
Solution 3: Reset your Internet Explorer
Open the ‘Tools’ menu of your Internet Explorer .
Click on ‘Internet Options’ and find the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Choose ‘Reset to default’, then click ‘OK’.
Solution 4: Add Intuit to your trusted websites in your Internet Explorer
Open the settings of your Internet Explorer and go to the ‘Security’ tab.
- Add Intuit.com as a trusted website in the ‘Trusted Sites’ section.
- Unmark the option for ‘Require server verification’.
- Now leave the ‘Trusted Sites’ window and unmark the option for ‘Enable Protected Mode’.
- Close your Internet Explorer and retry your process in QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 5: Turn off the add-ons in your Internet Explorer
- Open the ‘Tools’ menu of your Internet Explorer and select ‘Internet Options’.
- Find the ‘Programs’ tab and click on ‘Manage Add-ons’.
- Select the add-ons and click on ‘Disable’.
- Click on ‘OK’ and exit your Internet Explorer.
Solution 6: Clear the SSL Certificates from your Internet Explorer
- Click on the gear icon in top corner of your Internet Explorer and open ‘Internet Options’.
Go to the ‘Content’ tab and click on the ‘Clear SSL State’ button.
Save the changes by clicking ‘OK’.
Solution 7: Set your Internet Explorer as default browser
Before setting Internet Explorer as your default browser, make sure that you update it to the latest version. At this time this would be Internet Explorer 11.0. QuickBooks Desktop does not support EDGE yet.
- Now open Internet Explorer and click on the Gear icon in the upper right corner.
- Click on ‘Internet Options’ and find the ‘Programs’ tab.
- Select the ‘Make Default’ button in the ‘Default Web Browser’ section.
- Confirm with ‘OK’.
Solution 8: Try to repair your QuickBooks data file
If all the above solutions did not fix the Script Error for your QuickBooks, try to repair your QuickBooks data file with the help of QuickBooks file doctor. You can learn and find download instructions here.
We hope that this article was helpful to you and that you are now able to fix the issue with your Internet Explorer Script Error in QuickBooks.
If you are still unsure how to stop script errors to reoccur, do not hesitate to contact our team of Pro Advisors for reliable and thorough support.
You can send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Call: +1 971-205-3827
Additionally, you can also Log in to leave a query and receive help via our Expert’s community.