Are you using QuickBooks Desktop to manage your accounting and cash flow, but encountering issues where QuickBooks won’t open or start? In this article, we will help you identify the root cause of the problem and provide simple steps to fix the issue quickly and efficiently on both Windows and Mac operating systems.
It’s important to note that there are various reasons why QuickBooks may fail to open, and the solution may vary for each user based on their QuickBooks version, operating system, and system configuration. As a bookkeeper or business owner, troubleshooting these issues can be straightforward if you follow the steps outlined in this article.
In case you lack the technical knowledge required to troubleshoot and fix the issues yourself, we recommend getting in touch with an expert at +1 805 669 7851.
The good news is that this article has a solution for every QuickBooks user struggling with the “QuickBooks won’t open” problem. We’ll help you identify the cause of the issue and provide a list of troubleshooting steps to fix it. Additionally, we’ve included links to specific sections of the page for each type of QuickBooks won’t open issue, saving you time and effort.
In summary, whether you’re facing issues where QuickBooks won’t start, won’t open, or won’t sign in, this article has got you covered. Follow our simple steps and get back to managing your finances in no time.
Common Reasons why QuickBooks Desktop won’t open
- The QBWUSER.INI file is missing or corrupted.
- The FEATURE.dll file required by QB to function properly is not working.
- QuickBooks Installation files are damaged
- QuickBooks desktop is running slow, Freezing or Not responding.
- Windows operating system has not been updated to the latest release.
- Unable to meet system requirements
- The Transaction log file is damaged.
- QB is unable to reach the Network Data file stored on the server.
- Limited Administrative rights is preventing a user to access QB.
- Older versions of QB Desktop do not run properly on windows 10 and 11.
- Microsoft.NET framework is not installed.
Troubleshoot Problems opening QuickBooks
Method 1: Perform a clean boot
1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run box and type msconfig.
2. Configuration of the System utility box will open, and you will be on the general tab by default.
3. On the General tab, select Selective Startup and tick the boxes next to load system service and load startup items.
4. Go to the Services tab.
5. Select Hide All Microsoft Services from the drop-down menu.
6. After you’ve checked Hide All Microsoft Services, click Disable All.
7. Go to the Startup Tab and select Open Task Manager from the drop-down menu. This will create a new window with all of your administrator account’s startup applications.
8. Turn off all applications you aren’t using. You may simply disable them by right-clicking on them.
9. When finished, click OK, Apply, and Exit to exit the setup utility.
10. Restart your computer.
Once your computer is done restart, right click on the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and run it as administrator.
After performing the above steps if QuickBooks still won’t open than make sure to check that your QuickBooks Desktop license has been registered.
Method 2: Check if QuickBooks is registered and Activated
When you initially install QuickBooks for the first time you are given the choice to register your QuickBooks desktop application with Intuit. Often some users might skip this step and start using QuickBooks without registering their product which can later lead to QuickBooks not opening.
Here is how ot make sure that your product is registered with Intuit:
- Open QuickBooks desktop version on your computer.
- Press the F2 key from your keyboard to get to the product information window
- In the product information window Check if QuickBooks is Activated.
Following the above steps if you find out that your product has not been yet registered than move on to the next step to enter the validation code and register your product to avoid QuickBooks from not opening in the future.
Method 3: Rename QBWUSER.INI file
QuickBooks will not open if the QBWUSER.INI file is missing or damaged in QuickBooks Desktop. However this is an easy fix, simply rename the file to replace the damaged file. Doing this will clear the list of previously opened company file sessions, Once you have renamed the QBWUSER file than re-open your company files one by one to identify whether the issue is with one of your data files or the QuickBooks application itself.
- Press the Windows key + the letter R to open the run box
- Type the following command “\” to open C:\ drive.
- Now type the following filepath nameUsers[Your user name]AppDataLocalIntuitQuickBooks [year] to open the folder containing the QBWuser.ini file
- Select the QBWUSER.INI file and right-click to rename the file.
- Give it a new name for example .OLD at the end of the file.
If the above steps did not fix the issue than it is likely that the issue is occurring because of damaged QuickBooks installation file. In the next step you will learn how to replace the damaged files and re-register your QB application to open without problems and function properly.
Method 4: Delete the EntitlementDataStore.ecml
QuickBooks Won’t Start or Open if the EntitlementDataStore file which stores your Product license and registration information is not valid. The validation issue may occur when the EDS.ecml file is either damaged or corrupted. By deleting this file you will be asked to re-register QB with a new validation code. Once validated you can start using QuickBooks again.
Here is how to find the find and delete the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file:
- Go to the winodws start menu
- In the search box type Run
- Enter the following file path: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 alternatively you can also type V6 at the end and Hit Enter.
- From the list navigate to the file named EntitlementDataStore.ecml Right click and delete.
- If asked to confirm Select Yes.
- Go back to your Desktop and Open QuickBooks and sign in to your company file.
- Next, simply follow the instructions on the screen to re-register your QuickBooks Version.
Method 5: Suppress the QuickBooks application
QuickBooks will not open often because your company file is damaged or the QuickBooks installation files are corrupted. Supressing the application may fix the issue and help you find out if the problem is with your Data file or within the QuickBooks application.
Here’s how to supress QB:
- On your keyboard press and hold the Ctrl key
- Hover your cursor over the QuickBooks Desktop icon and double click to open.
Important: Do not release the Ctrl key until you see the No company window.
- Now select a company file to open.
If QuickBooks is working normaly with out freezing or giving any errors and you were also able to open your company files than the issue has been fixed.
If issue persists than try Method 6.
Method 6: Repair QuickBooks Desktop installation files
When QuickBooks will not open one of the most common solutions to quickly fix the issue is by repairing your QB installation files. Follow along to find out how to repair your current QuickBooks installation.
- Press the windows key on your keyboard to open the start menu.
- Type control panel in the search bar and open.
- Select Programs and then in the next window select programs and features.
- From the list of softwares installed on your system Select QuickBooks (year).
- On the top it says Organize, Uninstall and Repair, Select Repair from the options.
- A preparing to repair window will open.
- Wait until it asks for your permission to continue, then click Yes.
Once the Installation files of your QB Application has been repaired successfully, Restart your computer and when back up then go ahead and open QB, if you find out that everything is working fine but your QuickBooks company file won’t open than follow the next step to fix the issue.
Method 7: Replace the Transaction log and Network Data file
Sometimes QuickBooks Won’t open when the ND and TLG files are damaged in QuickBooks folder. The functionality of a QB data file is dependent on these files. A malware attack or a failed update could be the source of the problem. This procedure will re-create these files so that QB can be opened without issues.
- Navigate to the folder containing your company’s files.
- Look for the two extensions that begin with your company’s file name (company.ND):.ND and.TLG (company.TLG)
- Select the.ND extension first. Select Rename.
- At the end of the file, type.OLD.
- Save by renaming the.TLG extension (companyname.OLD) in the same way.
- Restart QuickBooks after closing all of the folders on your screen.
Method 8: To open QuickBooks in Windows 10/11, create a new user.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- From the settings page, select Accounts.
- From the left, select Family and other users.
- Select Add someone else to this PC under Other Users.
- You’ll be asked to sign in using your Microsoft account. If you don’t have one, skip this step.
- After that, you’ll be asked to register a new account. Choose Add a user without a Microsoft Account instead .
- Give the new user a name and a secure password in the next window.
- Log out of your current account now.
- Log in using the newly created user account.
- Open QuickBooks.
Method 9: Download and Install QuickBooks Tools Hub
This is QuickBooks most robust repair tool that can help you instantly fix most complex technical issues related to the application, related components and issues concerning your QuickBooks Company file.
Once the tool is installed on the computer on which QuickBooks is installed we will run 3 of the most useful tools from the tools hub to troubleshoot and follow the on screen instructions provided by the application to solve QuickBooks Won’t open error in both single and multi-user mode.
- Go to this link and download QuickBooks Tools hub on your PC
- Save the toolshub.exe file at a location easy to access
- After the download is complete click on the (quickbookstoolshub.exe) to begin installation.
- Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and create a short cut of the toolshub app on your desktop for easy access and click continue.
- Upon completion double click on the toolshub icon created on your desktop to launch the application.
Step 1: Run Quick Fix my Program tool from tools hub app
A process is a specific instance of a running program. The process ID, or PID, is a unique identifier assigned to each process running in Windows.
When you launch QuickBooks the operating system starts a process for the program’s executable file. It offers information on the applications current activities. You can stop the QuickBooks.exe running process when QuickBooks Won’t open or start. Doing this will fix isues such as lowering your computer’s performance because it’s hung, not responding, or utilizing a large amount of CPU and/or memory resources.
The Quick fix will shut down all QuickBooks processes running in the background of your windows PC. Thier are two ways to approach this step, first is using the Quick fix my program tool and 2nd is by manually shutting down the processes through task manager.
- Use Quick fix my programs from tools hub
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Program Problems
- Select Quick Fix my Program.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
- End or restart QuickBooks Processes in Task Manager Manually
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background Processes.
- Find QBW.exe > Right-click > Select End process.
- Next Select the Services tab.
- Find the QB services > Right-clcik and Select Restart.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks diagnostic tool
If during the initial installation process of QuickBooks Desktop their was a software conflict with other applications on the windows PC due to which the required components did not install properly than a clean install can repair those files and resolve the QuickBooks won’t open error.
- From the Tools hub choose the Installation Issues Tab.
- Click on the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool option form the list.
- Doing this will run the tool and check for any installation issues and may take up to 17 minutes to repair your files.
- Once the scan is complete restart QuickBooks Desktop application.
Step 3: Run the QuickBooks clean install tool
When QuickBooks won’t open, freezes, or is stuck in not responding mode, it usually means that you have corrupted or outdated QB installation files on your system. The problem is commonly linked to the TLG, which is the Transaction log file, or the ND, which is the Network data file. The clean install tool can assist you in replacing these files and creating a new copy of your QuickBooks desktop application. Performing a clean install will not effect your data.
Here’s how to begin this process:
- Get your QuickBooks product information together.
- Make a note of your license number and product ID. It should be on the original package or in the purchase confirmation email if you purchased a digital version.
- Make a note of the year and version number of your product.
- If you have registered your product you may also login to your acount management portal to get access to the product infomration.
Step 4: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Navigate to the Windows Start menu. Open Control Panel after searching for it.
- Uninstall a program or select Programs and Features.
- Select the version of QuickBooks Desktop you want to uninstall from the list of programs.
- Choose Uninstall/Change, then Remove. Hit Next, If you don’t see this option, sign out and re-enter Windows as an administrator (or a user with admin rights).
- Once the program is successfully uninstalled than move on to the next step to reinstall QB.
Step 5: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Download the QuickBooks installer for your operating system.
- Open the QuickBooks.exe file.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. Accept the software license agreement and then press the Next button.
- Enter your Product and License information. Then click Next.
- Choose the best installation method for you.
While installing QuickBooks for the first time it offers two methods of installation known as the express install for single users or custom and network install for multi-user setup which provides access to a company file to multiple users over a network.
Express install method
If you are first time user we recommend this method, specially if will be using QuickBooks desktop from only one computer and use the same computer to store your files.
- From the ninstallation wizard select Express and than click next.
- Click on Install now.
- Once the installation is complete open QuickBooks.
Network Installation method
This method is recommended if you are going to use QuickBooks from multiple computers, store company files on a server or setting up a multi-user network.
- Choose the custom and Network option and click next.
- Now choose an option that describes how you are going to operate QuickBooks.
- Then choose a location to install QucikBooks.
- Browse to the folder on your local computer, a computer on your network or server where you want to store the files.
- Hit the next button to begin the installation process.
- Once completed, Open QuickBooks to begin activation.
Note: During the installation process if you encounter an error simply follow the onscreen instructions to quickly solve the issue, some of the most common errors that may occur are Error 1904, 3371 due to which the installation maybe incomplete.
If everything went well and you see the Activation window than move to the next step to activate your software.
Step 6: Activate QuickBooks Desktop
- Enter your License number and product ID in their respective fields.
- Click next, if asked to update simply click on update now to continue.
- Once the update is complete open QuckBooks.
Method 10: Update Windows 10/11 to the latest release
QuickBooks may often have trouble opening when the windows operating system it is running on has not been updated for a long time, A corrupted or outdated file in windows will not only disrupt the security of your operating system but will also cause issues while running other applications on the computer.
Follow the steps below to ensure that your windows has been updated to the latest release to avoid disruptions while opening QB.
To keep your device functioning smoothly and securely, you select when and how to acquire the latest updates with Windows 11. Select Check for Windows updates to manage your options and view available updates.
- Go to Start > Settings > Windows Update.
- Press the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
Your may restart several times during the updates, Once completed login to yoour PC and Open QuickBooks to see if it is opening properly.
Method 11: Open QuickBooks in Safe Mode
- In the bottom-left corner, click the Windows symbol.
- Click the Power icon while holding down the Shift key, then Restart.
- Your computer will restart, and a blue screen titled Choose an option will appear. Choose Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options.
- Restart after clicking Startup Settings. Your computer will shut down and restart.
- When the screen returns, you’ll have a few alternatives. Start your computer in Safe Mode by pressing 4, or Safe Mode with internet connection by pressing 5.
To Sum up
This is the most detailed tutorial that explains the reasons behind why QuickBooks Won’t open?, We hope the following article has helped you understand the source of the problem and one of the 11 Methods mentioned in the tutorial has solved the issue and you are able to access QuickBooks once again.
If QuickBooks opens but crashes while you open a specific company file, then it may be due to a damaged company file. To fix this issue, you can try to restore a backup of the file or use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to repair the file.
Yes, some third-party antivirus programs can interfere with QuickBooks and prevent it from opening. You can try disabling the antivirus program temporarily to see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you can add QuickBooks as an exception in the antivirus settings.
If QuickBooks is running in a multi-user network setup and won’t open for some users, you can try restarting the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service on the host computer. If that doesn’t work, you can try resetting the network data file and then re-scanning the files using the Database Server Manager.
This error message may indicate that the configuration file for QB is missing or corrupted. To resolve this issue, you can try renaming the QBWUSER.INI file to QBWUSER.INI.OLD and then restarting QuickBooks. QuickBooks will create a new configuration file automatically.
If QuickBooks won’t open on a Mac, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling the software. You can also try resetting the app preferences or creating a new user account on the Mac to see if that resolves the issue. If nothing works, you can contact QuickBooks technical support for further assistance.